Beginner Afghan Ideas?

I am a “newish” knitter… I can knit, purl, do all basic stitches and have made several baby afghans with simple stitches. I am looking for a really nice, but relatively simple pattern to make an afghan for an adult. Any ideas about websites, stores, etc. to find a nice pattern?

Welcome!

Besides going to a store and looking through their books, www.knittingpatterncentral.com has tons of free patterns from all over the web.

I have alos found the Vogue stitchonary book volume 1 a great place to try out new stitch patterns. Many can easily be converted to afghans.

I went online and did a search for patterns for a baby afghan I’m making and I love the look of Basket Weave stitch.

Also, if you aren’t too far from a local library you can often find knitting books. A lot of those books may have something called a “stitch library” which shows all different types of stitches and how to do them. :slight_smile: Good luck!

I just started a pattern from an old knitting magazine that is very simple but is coming out quite well. It’s called “Feather and Fan”

Using a worsted weight yarn and sz 10 1/2 needles (I’m using 29" circs)
Cast on 144 sts
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: * (K2 tog) 3 times, (YO, K1) 6 times, repeat from * to last 6 sts, (K2 tog) 3 times
Row 4: Knit

I’m using a rainbow boucle from Joann’s that was on clearance (~900 yds for $5 :cheering: ) and it’s coming out quite well. I’m using this as my late-night insomnia project, since three of the four rows require no thought. It is looking great in blues, since the pattern has a wave look to it.

– Laura