Bee Stitch

Bee Stitch - December 17 365 Knitting Stitches A Year

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 (right side) K1, * K1 in st below, K1; rep from * to end
Row 3 Knit
Row 4 K2, K1 in the st below, * K1, K1 in st below; rep from * to last 2 sts, K2
Rep these 4 rows

OK … when I do row 2 I double the amount of stitches on my needle …then there are no decreases on row 4 … so the amount doubles again … it just gets bigger and bigger and bigger !!!

the instructions for K1 in the st below :
Insert the needle into the center of the stitch below the next stitch on the needle and knnit in the usual way, [size=6]slipping the stitch above it off the needle at the same time[/size]

I think slipping the stitch above is where I am not getting it … if I just slip the next stitch instead of knitting it … it still makes one… if i slip it off the needle it becomes a dropped stitch and big loop

HELP

I think with this one you’re supposed to get that loop. You knit into the one below it and the one on the needle ‘opens up’ to create the loop.

there aren’t any loops in the pattern …
http://www.knittingknonsense.com/beestitchcloth.html
and the “dropped” stitch doesn’t so much make a loop as it does unravel …

OK, I see now. When you knit into the one below, the top one should go on your needle, too, so you end up with two stitches wrapped around the new stitch. Make sure your needle goes through the middle of the stitch below to the back and not just under one ‘leg’ of it. It think that’ll do it.

I can’t recall if I have ever done this stitch, but it seems to me from reading the directions that you are “catching” the run when you knit in the stitch below. If I remember tonight while I’m playing I’ll try this and see how it goes.