Back neck and shoulder shaping

Here is where I am completely stumped:
I am working on the back and have included all of the pattern directions for it except the cable and pattern specs.

Cast on 98(106-114-122-134-142-150) sts. Purl 1 row.est pats (rs) – work 21(25-29-33-39-43-47) sts in seed st, pm work back chart over 56 sts, pm, work 21(25-29-33-39-43-47) sts in seed st. Work in pats as est until piece measures 22(22-22-22-23-24-24)”, ending with a ws row.

shape shoulders and back neck (rs) – mark center 20 sts. Bind off 8(9-10-11-11-12-13) sts at the beg of the next 2 rows.next row (rs) – bind off 7(8-9-10-12-13-14) sts, work to marker, join a new ball of yarn and bind off center marked sts, complete row. I am here and it looks like I have two beginning bind offs on the right side and one on the left with the strand of the second ball at the end of the left and the original strand at the neck. If I knit to the center to match the second beginning bind off on the right I think I will have an extra row on the left side? Should it be like that?*
The remainder:
Working both sides at the same time, bind oἀ 7(8-9-10-12-13-14) sts at the beg of the next 5 rows AND AT THE SAME TIME, bind oἀ at each neck edge 5 sts twice.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

When you bind off sts at the beg on the next 5 rows, the two shoulders will have equal sets of bound off sts. Yes, they’ll be offset by one row from each other but it will only be by very small fractions of an inch. It won’t be noticeable.

Thank you!
And at each neck edge 5 stitches twice…does that just mean 5 stitches on the left and 5 on the right edges of the neck?

You should bind off 5sts at each neck edge twice. Counting both neck edges that’s 20sts total.

Sorry, when do I do that, at the begining?

Do that when you begin the bind off of x many sts on the next 5 rows.

Thank you for all your help, this has been the best website for help! I finished the back! Now on to the front…

1 Like