Baby Sophisticate Sleeves - Joining Yarn and Other Issues

Greetings!

I’m knitting my former boss and his wife this adorable baby sweater called Baby Sophisticate.

This is the first sweater I’ve ever knit, and I’m having issues knitting the sleeves. The pattern calls for 26 sts to be transferred from a stitch holder onto DPNs and knit until the piece reaches 6". Once that’s finished, one is supposed to knit 7 rows of garter stitch in the round and BO all sts in knit.

I’m terribly confused because the underarms appear a bit large. I’m not sure if I need to pick up sts on the underarm in order to knit in the round and close up the gap, or just attempt to join in the new yarn and try to knit that way, which hasn’t worked because I haven’t been able to get a clean join. How does one knit in the round without a tail and working yarn on the right needle? Am I knitting in raglan shaping? I have no idea.

Here’s a link: http://stockinette.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/baby-sophisticate/

I am unable to post photos directly to the forum, but have them should anyone request them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

-K

Link to pattern http://stockinette.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/baby-sophisticate4.pdf

You don’t need new yarn. Knit to the first marker and remove it, put the sleeve stitches on a holder. Your yarn is still attached to the last stitch of the front section. Knit the first stitch of the back section to join the front and back, knit across the back to the marker. Move the 2nd sleeve’s stitches to a holder, join back to front by knitting the first stitch of the front, knit the remaining front section. Techknitter explains how to use crossed stitches to help minimize the gap. http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2009/04/crossing-stitches-one-way-to-avoid-hole.html

Cute pattern and HTH.

Thanks for the links, GG.
Yes, the body sts should be almost continuous at the underarm and the link GG gave will help to minimize the gap at the underarm. You’ll still have an opeining and the pattern admits that you’ll have to sew that seam under the arm to close the gap.
For the sleeves, remove the sts from the holder or waste yarn and place on dpns. Begin knitting with a new end of yarn. Hold the yarn tail (about 10" here so that you can use this yarn tail to seam the gab) in place with your right hand for the first few sts. You can drop the tail after that. Don’t worry if the first few sts seem loose. You can use the tail to snug up the sts later.
You don’t continue the raglan shaping any more. The sleeves are all knit sts in the round unil the cuff.
I’ve had this sweater in my queue to knit for the next baby goft, too!

Thank you so much for your help, y’all! It’s good to know I won’t have to pick up and knit just yet.

Hi folks! I’m relatively new to knitting and am trying this.

I’ve knitted the body and binded off but for the border and collar I’m having difficulty. Where do I put the buttons? It just says to knit 4 rows and nothing about making a button hole which I’ve never done before.

Tia!

Welcome to KH and to knitting!
Keep going with the directions. The button band, buttonholes and collar continue in row 5 and following. There are later directions for yarn over buttonholes.

Thank you so much! X