Baby Overalls: Need help figuring out what they mean!

This is probably very straight forward, but every time I read the pattern, I come up with something else!:teehee:

“BO 3sts at beg of next 4 rows, then, forming a selvage st at both edges dec 1st at each end 3 times every 2 rows, then 6 times every 4 rows, then 5 times every 2 rows. (Use K2tog to dec at beg of rows and SKP to dec at end of rows).”

BO 3sts at beg of next 4 rows= bind of how? and does that include knit and purl rows? :??

forming a selvage st = what’s a selvage st? Does that automatically form from the K2tog and SKP? :think:

Thanks!!!

There’s a video here on the site for binding off (it’s called “casting off”). As for your question about knit and purl rows-- if you’re working in stockinette st, that is, knit one row, purl one row, then you bind off as if you’re knitting on the knit side, and bind off as if you’re purling on the purl side.
From the wording in the pattern, I believe that the selvege edge they’re referring to will form from following the directions. Or let’s put it this way: I would just follow their directions and call that a selvege edge:) .

Bind off is another terms for casting off as yoou do at the end of a project. Instead of going all the way across the piece you are doing only a portion of the stitches, in this case s stitches at the start of the row for 4 rows (so that is both the purl and knit rows).

For the decreases you have to create a selvedge stitch. This is a firm edge stitch so will not be your increase or decrease. You will slip the first stitch of every knit row before doing the decreases. Only do the decreases on the knit rows, the purl rows you do plain.
So the first set of decreases is: first row; slip 1, K2tog, knit to 3 stitches from end, SSK, slip 1. second row; purl all stitches repeat these two rows 3 times.

then First row; slip 1, K2tog, knit to 3 stitches from end, SSK, slip 1. second row; purl all stitches. third row; knit all. fourth row; purl all repeat between ** 6 times

and finally: first row; slip 1, K2tog, knit to 3 stitches from end, SSK, slip 1. second row; purl all stitches repeat between ** 5 times.

Thanks to both posters! Sometimes I confuse myself so much! At the start of the project I read the directions and thought I knew what I was doing, but then wasn’t so sure as I was continuing. So, I thought, the next time I came across something I’d ask. :hug: I appreciate the help and clarification!

You could also knit or purl the selvedge st instead of slip it, then do the decrease.