Baby Blanket Instructions =?

I’m going to be starting on a baby blanket for a friend of mine. The blanket is done in stockinette stitch, which I have no trouble with. However, the instructions for the hood read as follows:

With MC, cast on 39 sts.
Work in stockinette throughout, decreasing as follows:
Every RS (knit) row: K1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1.
Every WS row: Purl.

When 5 sts remain, work WS (purl) row as usual. Next row (RS): K1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1—3 sts rem.
Bind off.

With wrong sides facing, seam hood to blanket corner using mattress stitch.

I basically don’t understand anything about this, besides the first line and how many to cast on. Here are the questions I need answering:

1. I’m unsure what [B]ssk[/B] means.
  2. When it says sl 1, do I slip the stitch off the needle? Or is that a different stitch entirely?
  3. What the crap does [B]psso[/B] mean?

Thanks for the help guys. :slight_smile:

Look at the Glossary section for the meanings and videos for them. But they’re decreases; you just slip the st from the left to the right needle.

SSK - slip one st, slip the next st, then knit them both together (you can slip them back to the left needle and knit through the back loop.)

PSSO is pass slipped stitch over and is used at the end there - slip 1, k2tog then pass the slipped st over the st that was made when you k2tog.

The decrease videos explained a ton. And you answered the questions the videos different. Thanks!

Also, what is a mattress stitch?

Also, what is a mattress stitch?

It’s for seaming. Video available on the ‘Knitting Tips’ page. Scroll down to ‘Finishing.’

cam