Baby Bear Bonnet - Knitting for Olive Help!

Good Morning Everyone!

I am working on the bear ear shaping on the bear bonnet pattern by Knitting for Olive and I am having a difficult time figuring out the last section of the ear shaping. It’s the top of page 3

I am doing the 12-18 month old size which is highlighted in pink. When I get to the ear sections, I have 19 stitches between my stitch markers which is what the notes say I should have. If I do the stitches for my size, I don’t have enough stitches in between the stitch markers to finish the decrease.

I have highlighted the section I am struggling with. I’m not sure what I’m missing or if I’m reading it wrong? Not including the increases (M1R, M1L) - If I K7, k2tog, k1, slik, k1, psso, K7 - Wouldn’t that be 21 stitches between the stitch markers?

I’ve seen a few people post about this pattern but I couldn’t find the section I needed help with. Am I reading the pattern incorrectly? Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Screenshot 2024-06-10 101423

The part of the row without the increases and before you work the decreases is K7, k2tog, k1, slip 1, k1, psso, K7

K7 takes 7sts
K2tog takes 2sts
K1 takes 1 stitch
Slip 1, k1, pass slipped stitch over (also called skp) takes 2sts
K7 takes 7sts.

That totals 19sts. When you work the two decreases and work the two increases (the make ones), the stitch count will remain the same, 19sts.

Here’s a video for the Slip 1, k1, psso (also called skp). See if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn87oeqjMjo

Could not be a cuter baby bonnet.

1 Like

Omg, I get it now. Thank you so much for the explanation! I had the PSSO differently in my mind… Thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m so glad. This is going to be adorable on some lucky baby!

1 Like