Azel pattern

I am starting on the neck opening of the Azel pattern. I am confused as to why I am only using one row with the binding and then casting the stitches back on in the next row. Shouldn’t there be a larger neck opening?
Thanks for the help.

My friend made this and other than the neck being too long for a toddler it was large enough. I don’t have the pattern, but I would think you cast off and then cast on to create more neck edge stability? Or do you mean something else?

I uploaded a picture of the directions. I’m worried the neck opening won’t be big enough

Keep in mind you’re using (or should be) super bulky yarn. 25 stitches of that is probably fine. I looked at the projects and don’t see with a quick search that anyone complained of the neck being too small. If you really feel it’s too small you can rip back the bind off and a few rows to where it’s the size you want then add the collar.

Thank you for the help! I feel better about it now. When I’m done, I let you know how I did. Have a good week!

1 Like

My friend just made it for her granddaughter. Can’t wait to see yours! I’ve always loved that pattern.

In relation to the picture you posted above. Can I ask what does it mean by knit (11,13,15 etc I’m getting stuck here, any help would be appreciated :grin:

The different numbers refer to different sizes. Best thing is to circle your size as Blight did in the pattern photo to avoid mix-ups.

I am a beginner knitter & have only made scarves. I am making the size 3/4 of azel pullover pattern & approaching the neck opening. I have no idea what this step means or how to go about it. Can someone pls help me with easy instructions on what the following step means:
Row 1 (right side): knit (11,13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25 sts), bind off the next (19, 19, 21, 21, 23, 23, 25, 25 sts), knit (10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 sts). (22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 59 sts)
How can I only knit these specific stitches? What do I need to do with the other stitches? Pls help!!! Thank you!

Welcome to KH!
Row 1 (right side): knit 13sts, bind off the next 19, knit 12sts. (26sts)

The row starts with 45sts. Knit across 13sts. You’re going to bind off at this point. Knit 2 more sts, lift the first stitch over the second and off the needle. Knit one more stitch and lift the first stitch over the second and off. Continue to work the bind off until you’ve lifted 19sts over and off the right needle. There’ll be a group of 13sts on the right needle, a gap where sts were bound off, then one stitch at the end of the right needle. Now continue to knit the 12 sts remaining on the left needle.
You’ll end the row with 13sts, a gap and another 13sts. You’re ready to work the next row.
Here’s a video for the cable cast on in the next row.