Attic24 Neat Ripple Pattern Questions

Hi.:slight_smile: I am trying to make this pattern from Attic24 Neat Ripple Pattern Website as a blanket for a bed but the pattern has only a 31 chains and that’s not enough for a long big blanket.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:The pattern has :A Multiple of 14(2x14 plus 3 for turning chains).I was wondering how many chains to crochet for a blanket for a single twin bed 39 inch ?What multiple of 14 number should i use?:thinking:(What do you guys think i should do?

Where does she get the 2 from that goes with multiple of 14?

The site suggests a small sample of the ripple pattern to start and for that purpose, cast on 31sts.
The multiple is 14 + 3. That means (2 x 14) + 3 =31 will work and that’s the suggestion for the sample. You will need more for a blanket, of course.

Once you have that sample done you can measure the width across maybe the center 24sts and get and idea of how many sts/inch you have. With that number and the width you want to make, you’ll be able to figure out how many sts to cast on.

Hi salmonmac.:slightly_smiling_face: thanks for the help.:grinning:how do you calculate the number and width do you multiple that or divide?:thinking:

Multiple your sts per inch by the number of inches you want. That will give you the number of sts you need to start with.

Hi salmonmac.:slightly_smiling_face:Thanks for the amazing help.:blush:

salmonmac gives good instructions. This is not intended to disagree or say my way is the right way. I would approach it a little differently. I would see what the repeat measures, decide how many repeats I want, chain for each repeat using markers to separate them, and when I have enough I would do my ch 3 at the end. Why? Math and I do not play well together and it’s easier for me to keep track of the repeats than it is a total number. I would also be able to easily double check that each repeat has the correct number of stitches; my markers would be in place for making sure I get that first row worked right. I am able to mess up ripples like you wouldn’t believe and have to restart until I get it right.

I have learned a lot from salmonmac and she’s a big part of why I really got into knitting. My mind works differently and I know this.

That makes sense to me, GG and it’s a good way to stay on track in this pattern.

Thanks, salmonmac. I do so struggle with even basic computations, I have to find workarounds.