At What Point...

Do you say, “I give up?” I have been trying to knit a chevron blanket for the last 2 weeks and have ripped it out no less than 12 times! It’s not a hard pattern at all but I keep making basic mistakes. Adding or loosing stiches, dropping a stitch on a decrease…I try to tink back and find that I can’t fix the problem so end up starting over.

I’m feeling quite sorry for myself. I keep thinking that if I can’t manage this, how will be able to tackle sweaters! Ugh!

I’m being melodramatic I know. Please just tell me it’s going to be OK so I can mourn my ravaged yarn (it looks dreadful, I’ll have to cut this bit off) and start once again. :woman_facepalming:t5::rofl:

Nooo !! Don’t give up. Its all a part of learning the curve. Mistakes that is.
I’m new at knitting and have always wanted to learn. But it looked so intimidating, patterns specially.
Take one step at a time and keep going. When you finish a project, it is a sense of achievement.

You can add a lifeline every few rows. So if you make a mistake you can easy unravel it to that point of your work.
Goodluck.

I’m agree with all you’ve said and I’ve told myself that mistakes are just part of the fun. I just can’t seem to grasp this pattern for some reason. Or at least that’s what I think it is!

I’ve even been using life lines! Ugh!

I shall persevere and hopefully I’ll finish before Christmas. Haha!

I agree with Kyrad, you can do this. You’re learning even as you make those mistakes. You’re using lifelines so that’s all to the good. Markers may help too if only in making it easier to count sts and recognize mistakes earlier.
There no shame in putting a project on hold either. Give it a rest. Work something else and when you’re ready go back to that problem child.

I agree with salmonmac!! Give that project a “time out”. Do something quick and fun to build your confidence back, and practice at the same time. You’ll know when it’s time to get back to it and when it’s done you’ll wonder why you were having issues with it to begin!

I think my worst project was The Christening Dress from Hell. The trick is: you swear at it a little so you feel better. If you want to throw it across the room a few times, that’s ok. Then you set it aside for a day, week, whatever. If it still gives you problems, repeat the process.

There are a handful of knitting classes I recommend and the rest can be learned on youtube: your first knitting class, knitting socks, knitting a sweater, and the most important- fixing mistakes.

Every expert makes mistakes it’s just they have the skills in that last class so they don’t have to frog the project. It saved me from a world of frustration.

Lastly a sweater is intimidating only because you’re thinking of the final product. If you break down a simple pattern it’s just two wide shaped scarves and two tubes.

You’ll be great. Take a break from this project. Knitting should be fun and relaxing!

I seriously appreciate your melodrama!! My first Chevron Afghan nearly drove me to drink but ended up being one of the prettiest I’ve ever done. What helped me tons was doing a sample. Most patterns will state that the pattern is a multiple of so many stitches, so I cast on enough multiples to give me a good 8 to 12 inches. Using any old yarn is fine. Then knit your pattern until you feel you’ve got it down pat. Lifelines are such a good idea, when I remember to do them!

And one thing I’ve learned is that there is no Knitting Police. A mistake that is glaring to you will most likely not even be noticed by the recipient. Most people don’t knit and they’re not likely to examine it with a magnifying glass. Relax and enjoy the project.

Thank you all so much.

I took a breath and started again yesterday and this time, I really paid attention. I took the time to stop every few rows read the knitting. I was fascinated by what I learned. I’ve been adding life lines every two rows instead of every 6 and I’ve been tweaking things that didn’t sit well with me from all my other attempts. Believe it or not, I’ve made great progress!

I should rename it the Chevron Learning Blanket!

I’ve been looking for a video or lesson on how to fix a dropped M1L or M1R; can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this even possible?

It all a learning experience. Well done.
Here’s a video for fixing a M1 increase (2 different kinds of M1s). The actual repair starts about halfway through but it’s worth watching the set up to understand the increases.

Of course, the earlier you realize the mistake, the easier this is to fix.
Enjoy knitting the rest of the blanket. We’d love to see a photo of it when you finish.

This is a brilliant video! Thank you!

I started knitting a lace panel in a stocking stitch setting and could not master it at all . After several rip outs , I made a small sampler with the pattern and knitted several repeats , eventually getting to grips with it and realising where I was going wrong . I felt like binning my knit several times over before this and had real satisfaction when I eventually got it right . Dont give up you will feel brilliant when you finish your piece .

Thank you.

I think a sample is a very good idea. It usually takes me at least 2 attempts before I get to grips with a new pattern.

Update: after making considerable progress with this pattern I decided I didn’t actually like it! :woman_facepalming:t5::joy: I have started on a new Chevron blanket and it’s going well.

There are a couple of new stitches I have learned with this one which is always a positive.

I am knitting a version of a scarf/shawl that I think I will love but in acrylic ( cost 10.00)
Vs the alpaca I bought original ( 84.00)
I should have all the kinks worked out if I decided to do it over!
I have been knitting long enough that dropped stitches aren’t supposed to be a huge problem but for some reason with this pattern I am dropping lots. crochet stays with project bag! hook

It took me a good while to knit my first sweater nearly a year. Felt like you but just put it down for a while. Quite a while. It turned out great in the end. Loads of videos on you tube to help. This helped me loads

Oh I do sympathise! You can see from the number of responses how many share your Pain!. I am new to the KnittingHelp site and I feel similar feelings to yours about learning my way around technology as you do about learning to knit! You however, most likely have youth on your side and many years ahead to practice the art of knitting. If you persevere you will come to love perfecting the skill. I learned to knit aged 5, had to give it up at 55, mourned the loss of fine motor skills with advancing arthritis but took it up 3 years ago at 75.
I was thrilled to find the basic skills were still there, I just had to adjust a few movements in order to execute the moves. I’m still learning my way around the new pattern instructions, techniques etc. Short term memory loss is the bane of my knitting life but the craft is known to help the brain improve its performance significantly and it does. So…I WILL NEVER GIVE UP.

Just to reassure you, I have undone 240 stitches and up to 25 rows 15 times on the long cardigan I began before Christmas. Each time I unraveled I determined it wouldn’t happen again and put in little strategies to help me pay attention. Markers, a life-line, a strict self imposed rule not to do more than 2 rows at any one time before a break etc., the one my husband came up with was a good one: he gave me two whiteboard pens, if I had the red one showing he couldn’t interrupt me. If the green one was on show I was on a purl row.
I have two perfect rows completed as of this morning! My break is writing to you and any other frustrated new knitters out there who might read this.
Maybe I shouldn’t use this reply to give you basic tips I believe would make your knitting life easier but being so hopeless with technology I don’t know where else on this site to go or how to get there. So I can’t even respond to the invitation to ‘Introduce yourself’ which I received when I first joined. Having said that, I suggest if you have unravel too many times so that you yarn becomes wooly (no pun intended) wrap it around the back of a dining or kitchen chair so you have a ‘hank’ and carefully tie the strands loosely together. Then dunk them into a tepid bowl of water with a dash of wool wash/ eucalyptus wool mix - just a little - rinse, squeeze out excess in a towel and hang it over a coat hanger to dry naturally. It will be restored to its former glory and you will not be able to tell it apart from your new balls. Of course you will have to make up a ball without tangles, I do this either with the help of my husband who holds the strand apart while I ball or by putting it over the back of the chair again being careful not to stretch it.
I hope wherever you are you will feel more encouraged each time you pick up the needles. I will be on the look out for up-dates to your progress.

Thank you, thank you thank you! I’m still going guys. Even thus new pattern is becoming a cause for tears but I won’t give up.

Your comment really touched my heart. Thank you so much for taking your break to write to me. I appreciate your tips greatly! Will that wool wash tid bit work with a wool acrylic mix?

I would so love to see you your cardigan as you progress and/or finish. :heart:

Thank you! A lovely surprise to see you appear in my in-box. And how easy to communicate via e-mail. Yes indeed, the wool wash softens the yarn and if it has picked up any perspiration it is best to give it a gentle swish. I am Downunder where we are sweltering at present so I knit with air/con or in direct path of a fan.

I will certainly send you progress on my project once I get passed 10 cm or maybe twenty! Since my email to you I missed a knit stitch which threw the entire row out of pattern. Lucky I had a life line in two rows down after the cast on or I would have been casting on 242 stitches again! for the umpteenth time. The lesson is, count every six stitches and check they are correct. The pattern is very simple but I can’t afford to lose concentration. Don’t be discouraged by this just resolve to become familiar with the very basic KNIT and PURL stitches before attempting any kind of garment. It will be worth it, I promise. Bye, till next time…