Armholes?

Hey!
I’m new to this and was wondering how to do armholes… Do you just decrease and increase as needed or is there a trick to it? Have been practising decreasing and increasing but it looks a bit messy.
Any help would be great!
C

Usually for an armhole the pattern has you bind off a few stitches and then do a gradual decrease. Are you following a pattern?

Thanks fot the post.
Oh, I havne’t got a pattern yet, I am just playing around… I wanted to make a simple vest just to practice the stiches and stuff. I will get onto the patterns as soon as I can decifer the code!!!

If you look at the top of the page there is a place where all the abbreviations are explained. It is like another language! Here is a bunch of vest patterns that can maybe give you an idea on how armholes are shaped. With the abbreviations and help here, you can do it!

Thanks so much! :smiley:

new2this~

You could always make a drop shoulder sweater…knitted straight up to the shoulder shaping, mark where you want the armholes to begin (no worry about armhole or sleeve cap shaping). And with the sleeves, you could even pick up the stitches around the armholes and knit from the top down. Would be an easy first sweater, imho.

Ack, just reread your post and you want to make a vest…that you’ll have to shape the armholes. If you need directions, I can get my Vogue book out and give you the formula they give for shaping armholes.