Armhole help please!

So I’m knitting my first baby outfit, and am having trouble understanding how to deal with the armhole section. The problem is in the “Shape raglan” section. I underlined where I’m confused.

First, how do you measure the armhole on this? I have no idea how to tell when the armhole measures 2 1/2 (I’m doing smallest size)

Second, next it says “AT SAME TIME, shape neck” but says to only repeat it “2 times” Am I to assume this means that the armhole will not measure 2 1/2 until I have completed the 10 additional repeats, meaning the neck shaping will take place in the final 2 rows of the raglan shaping instructions?

So confused. Thanks if you can help :mrgreen:

Below is the pattern(http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kbs-aquaLayette.html?noImages=):

Shape raglan Place sts onto circular needles in the following sequence: 22 (27, 32) sts from Left Front holder, place marker, 37 (41, 45) sts from Sleeve holder, place marker, 49 (59, 69) sts from Back holder, place marker, 37 (41, 45) sts from Sleeve holder, place marker, 22 (27, 32) sts from Right Front holder – 167 (195, 223) sts.
Dec row (RS) *K to within 2 sts of next marker, k2tog tbl (through the back loop), slip marker, k2tog; rep from * across all markers, k to end – 8 sts dec.
Next row (WS) Purl. Rep the last 2 rows 12 (15, 18) times more – 63 (67, 71) sts. [U]AT SAME TIME, when armhole measures 2½ (3½, 4½)", shape neck as foll Cont with raglan shaping, after working first 4 (5, 6) sts at beg of next 2 rows, place them on holders, then dec 1 st at beg and end of every RS row (neck edges) 2 (2, 2) times. On last WS row, p2tog before and after each marker. Slip rem 43 (45, 47) sts on holder.[/U]

When you have the sts on the circular begin the decrease rows alternating with a plain purl row. When you are 2.5" from where you joined, also begin the shaping on the neck which will be the beg and end of your row. The neck shaping actually goes over 4 rows - 2 where you slip the beg sts on holders, then 2 more where you decrease. Dec on a purl row and you should have 43 sts on the needle.

And if you would, please edit your post to take out all the pattern except the shaping instructions. Even though it’s a free pattern, Lion owns it and doesn’t like it being reposted at other sites. Leaving in the link is fine.

Thank you suzeeq. I think I’m still a little confused…

The pattern specified that I bind off 3 stitches on the front and back panels that now align with the armhole join. Should these be included in the 2 1/2 measurement?

Just for clarification, If the neck shaping occurs over the last 4 rows of the raglan shaping, after performing the 10 repeats called for (neck shaping in the final 2 repeats), why measure 2 1/2 inches?

Thank you suzeeq. I think I’m still a little confused…

The pattern specified that I bind off 3 stitches on the front and back panels that now align with the armhole join. Should these be included in the 2 1/2 measurement?

Just for clarification, If the neck shaping occurs over the last 4 rows of the raglan shaping, after performing the 10 repeats called for (neck shaping in the final 2 repeats), why measure 2 1/2 inches?

It means a vertical measurement from where you joined the pieces, doesn’t have anything to do with the bound off stitches.

You don’t begin the neck shaping until working 2.5" of the decrease rows, and continue the raglan decreases and doing the neck shaping too. These are separate directions, but you do them at the same time.

Thank you! That was an enormous help, and it looks great, if I do say so myself.