Armhole and V-neck shaping

patterns

I am knitting the Lions Brand Chunky Denim Vest pattern and am having trouble with the Left Front decrease. It reads as follows: “Armhole and V-neck shaping (RS) Work in Garter st only. Bind off 3 (3, 4, 5, 5, 5) sts at beg of next row, k to last 7 sts, k2tog, k 5. Work one row even. Next row (RS) Slip 1, k 1, ssk, k to last 7 sts, k2tog, k 5. Repeat dec at neck edge every other row 1 (0, 1, 1, 0, 0) time more, then every 4th row 9 (10, 10, 10, 12, 12) times more. AT SAME TIME, repeat dec at armhole edge every other row 5 (7, 7, 8, 10, 12) times more - 10 (11, 12, 13, 13, 14) sts. Work even as established until armhole measures 8 (8 1/2, 9, 9 1/2, 10, 10 1/2)”], ending after a WS row. Bind off all sts." Specifically, when it says to repeat the decrease row every 4 rows and at the same time repeat dec row every other row… When I write out each row, I seem to come up with way too many rows. Can someone possible write this bolded section out row by row for me?

Welcome to the forum!
Which size are you making?

Thank you! I am making size small.

The bind off at the armhole edge is on row 1 and there is a dec on row 3. Then the instruction is to dec every other row x5 more. That’s on rows 5,7,9,11 and 13.

The decreases are given for the neck on rows 1,3 and 5 then the instruction to dec every 4th row x9 more. That’s on rows 9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37 and 41.

So it’ll take 41 rows total for all the decreases. The gauge in garter stitch is 22 rows/4" and you’re to work the armhole until it measures 8" (44rows). If you’re close to row gauge, that should work out fine.

Thanks for the help. I just continued the decrease until I had 10 stitches left and it seems to have worked! I didn’t find the instructions for this pattern to be very concise. But - I am a beginner especially when it comes to clothing! Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.