Aran knit sweater help

Hi everyone
This is my first attempt at this type of pattern so please bear with me.
At the beginning of the pattern it gives me a Panel Pattern (worked over 21 sets).
There are 24 rows and at the end it says that these 24 rows complete panel pattern.
Then it starts the back of the sweater.3 inches of ribbing and then it gives you 6 rows which include the first 6 rows of the panel pattern.
After these 6 rows it says that these 6 rows complete side patterns. Panel pattern is now in position.
Continue in pattern working appropriate rows of panel pattern until work from beginning measures 13 inches.

My problem is after these 6 rows what is my next row and where do the rest of the rows in the panel pattern come in. Don’t understand what it means by panel pattern is in position.

I am sorry I don’t have a link because its a pattern I had on paper’s

Hope you can help
Debbie

I would think you’d start at the beginning of the panel section and continue to work the 24 rows, but I’m not sure.

Since you can’t give a link just give us the pattern name and designer if you have it.

The pattern is a leaflet I purchased at a wool store quite a while ago. It is a patons family Arabs pattern. The only thing on the leaflet is1082 BB. I don’t know if this will help
Debbie

As Jan said, you want to complete the 24 row panel pattern. After the ribbing the instructions give the placement of the side patterns and the panel pattern along the row. It sounds like the side pattern is only 6 rows so when you get to row 7, work row 1 again on the side panels and continue with row 7 of the panel pattern. You’ll go on to row 2 of the side pattern and row 8 of the panel pattern and so on.
You’ll have to keep separate track of where you are in each pattern as you progress up the rows.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/patons-1082-aran

Does it look like this? http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=35607&m=109

The pattern is a leaflet I purchased at a wool store quite a while ago. It is a patons family Arabs pattern. The only thing on the leaflet is1082 BB. I don’t know if this will help
Debbie

No its nothing like that pattern. Its an Irish knit pattern. Maybe I’ve bitten off more than I can chew with this.

The link posted by salmon is the exact one. I am trying the mans sweater.
Debbid

No, I’ll bet you can do this. The placement of the panels is set on the first row. From there on you just follow the rows on the charts. The side panel (if it is a 6 row chart) will repeat 4 times while you’re working the 24 row pattern panel. Use markers to separate the panels until you have enough rows to see the patterns.

Thanks for the help everyone. Just finished the first 24 rows and it looks great. Don’t know what I would do without your help. You guys are great.
Debbie

Finally finished front and back of sweater. I am now starting the sleeves. My problem now is how to follow the pattern with the increases at each end. Any suggestions.
Debbie

I find it easiest to make the increases one stitch in from each end as knit stitches. On the next row, incorporate the new stitch into the pattern. If it’s seed or moss stitch, work it so that the pattern is maintained although it shifts at the very ends to accommodate the new sts. If it’s a cable, knit the increases in stockinette until there are enough for a full cable.

I am just not getting the increases. This is how the sleeve goes
1st row: (right side) p2, tw2r. P2. (K8. P2. Tw2r. P2) twice. Work 1st row panel pattern. (P2. Tw2l. P2 k8) twice. P2 tw2l . P2.

2nd row: k2. P2. K2. (P8. K2. P2. K2.) Twice. Work 2nd row panel.( K2. P2. K2. P8) twice. K2. P2. K2.

3rd row: p2. Tw2r. P2. (CAB. CAF p2. Tw2r. P2) twice. Work 3rd row panel. (P2. Tw2l. P2. CAB. CAF) twice. P2. Tw2l. P2.

4th row: as 2nd row. Working 4th row panel pattern instead of 2nd.

5th row: as 1st row. Working 5th row panel pattern instead of 1st.

6th row: as 2nd row. Working 6th row panel pattern instead of 2nd.

These 6 rows complete side patterns.
Panel pattern is now in position.

There are 24 rows to the panel pattern and each row is worked over 21 stitches if that helps.

Then it reads. Continue in pattern working appropriate rows of panel pattern and increasing 1 st each end of needle on next and every following alternate row to 105 stitches then every following 4th row to 143 stitches taking increased stitches stitches into side patterns.

I know this may seem confusing but I don’t, have a link to the pattern. It is on ravelery as stated before but it is a paid pattern.

I really need help in how to keep in pattern while increasing. A bit detailed for the first couple of rows until I get the hang of it. I sure hope someone can help me as I have the front and back done.

Debbie

You have the panel pattern in the center of the sleeve and on either side there are tw2r or tw2l and double cables separated by p2 sts.
So the next pattern that you want on each side is the k8 for the double cables (CAB, CAF). Make the initial increases at the beginning and end of the row as knit sts and continue to work those sts in stockinette st (knit on the front, purl on the back side row). When you have 5knit sts on each edge and you come to a cable cross row, do the cable cross on 4 of the sts leaving the 5th stitch at the very edge on each side. Continue with increases until you enough to do the 2nd cable plus an extra edge stitch.

1st row: [B]Increase row [/B](right side) [B]k1[/B] p2, tw2r. P2. (K8. P2. Tw2r. P2) twice. Work 1st row panel pattern. (P2. Tw2l. P2 k8) twice. P2 tw2l . P2, [B]k1[/B].

2nd row: [B]p1[/B] k2. P2. K2. (P8. K2. P2. K2.) Twice. Work 2nd row panel.( K2. P2. K2. P8) twice. K2. P2. K2 [B]p1[/B].

3rd row: [B]Increase row[/B] [B]k2[/B] p2. Tw2r. P2. (CAB. CAF p2. Tw2r. P2) twice. Work 3rd row panel. (P2. Tw2l. P2. CAB. CAF) twice. P2. Tw2l. P2 [B]k2[/B].

Hopefully things will be a little clearer at this point. After you have the sts for the two cables, you next increases will become part of the p2 sts.

Would you do your increase at the very edge and which increase would you use

Debbie

You could do the increase in the edge stitch but using knit left loop (KLL) on the right edge and knit right loop (KRL) on the left edge. in that case I would keep the edge stitch itself in stockinette and use it for seaming. In that case I count the edge sts for the overall stitch count but I ignore them as far as the pattern goes.
You could also use a make one increase between the very edge stitch and the next stitch. I’d probably still keep the edge stitch in stockinette for seaming.

You could probably use your favorite increase too. These are just the ones I like.