Aran/Cable LC help PLEASE

Hi!

I am doing my first Aran/cabling project. I am working a honeycomb pattern, which calls for a 2/2 RC, 2/2 LC across the row. My RC is going fine, but for some reason, my LC is SO VERY tight that it is a challenge to knit the stitches off of the cable needle for the LC. Even worse, upon finishing the row and turning, those LC stitches were so dreadfully tight, it nearly killed me to get them off of the circular cable back onto the left needle. My poor hands are crippled from those 2 rows! Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Oddly enough, the stitches LOOK perfect. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, all! :slight_smile:

I’m kind of curious about this too… I just finished a cabled scarf, and I noticed that when I cfront, the stitches are a lot tighter than when I cback… It may have something to do with the fact that, when you cable front (or left cross) you’re twisting the knit stitches from the way they usually lie, and then when you knit them, twisting them even more :thinking:
I don’t know how to fix it for sure, the only thing I could think of would be to switch to smaller needles when you’re doing your LC, and make sure to pull a little extra yarn through on those stitches, or possibly try knitting through the back loop, which creates a looser stitch (at least for me, anyway…)
I hope that at least gives you a starting point - - if any aran experts know better than me please give your two cents…

Are you picking up the stitches on your cable needle as if to knit? That’s the only thing I could think of that would make then so tight. If not, then I’d say try PHM’s ideas. I haven’t had this problem, so I’m a bit at a loss.

It is going much better now and I think there are a couple possible causes. First, maybe I was cabling too tenaciously. It’s my first real cable project and I think I might have been knitting too quickly (and tightly) to get to the cabling part, making the actual cabling difficult. I also have changed back to a hooked cable needle. I played with that, a DPN, and a crochet hook. I thought the DPN was the easiest and best, but I’m realizing now the cable needle, although a hair too large a diameter for this project, is working MUCH better. (Imagine that, the implement designed for what I’m doing is working better!) :wink: I also realized I wasn’t holding the cable needle close enough to the left needle when doing the crosses. Placing it directly adjacent in front or back as appropriate so it’s right there when it’s time to knit off the cable needle makes it much easier. I was close to doing that already, but I focused more on that and it made things smoother as well.

Thank you for your suggestions! I think I’m all set to cable myself to pieces! I am just thrilled about this cabling/Aran thing and so glad I saw Janet Szabo on Knitty Gritty!!! Happy knitting!! :XX:

I’m glad you got it to work! It’s so much fun to watch the pattern emerge when you’re cabling.

maybe I was cabling too tenaciously

:roflhard:
OMG, I’m stealing that!!
I’m not a tight knitter, I’m tenacious!
Glad you got the hang of it!