Anyone out there good at writing patterns?

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me!
I saw this picture on a blog and want to knit it

…only problem is that there isn’t a pattern.

BUT, luckily some very kind person responded to it with a suggetion to what they would do to knit it. of course I have some questions for you guys…I quote:

“Ignore, for the moment, the parts knit in the smaller-gauge ribbing. Cast on enough for the sleeve right above the cuff, and knit upward, increasing at the edges until the sleeve is wide enough for a nice wide armhole, and long enough to reach to wherever the bottom of the second wide brown stripe would hit you. Set that aside on stitch holders, and do that again for the second sleeve. Now, make the lower back – cast on enough for half the body, and knit with no shaping a piece long enough to reach from where the waist ribbing stops to the point where the sleeves will join the body. Also set that aside on a stitch holder. Cast on enough stitches to reach up the right side of your body from where the waist ribbing starts to the bottom of the armhole, then knit across the first sleeve, then knit across the back, then knit across the second sleeve, then cast on the stitches to go from the armhole down to the waist ribbing on the other side. This gets you to the point where that second wide brown stripe starts. Knit even, with no shaping, until the back is tall enough and the two front pieces will meet in the middle. Bind off…”

#1) does this look doable?
#2) what kind of yarn would work best for this, and what sizes of needles should i use?
#3) I don’t think i’ll have trouble with the sleeves…they’re knit in the round, right?
#4) “Cast on enough stitches to reach up the right side of your body from where the waist ribbing starts to the bottom of the armhole, then knit across the first sleeve, then knit across the back, then knit across the second sleeve, then cast on the stitches to go from the armhole down to the waist ribbing on the other side.” <~~~huh? :?? what does she mean by knitting across all that stuff? Actually from there on I am kind of confused, I think it would help if I could draw myself a picture, but I don’t know where to start.

I think that’s all I have to ask for now, of course if I get that far then she goes on to explain how to seam it all together…yea, I might be back for more help :slight_smile:

Paleika,

#1. The person who wrote these directions out may have had a workable idea. It actually sounds pretty good as far as a basic scheme to attack this project goes. But it leaves a lot you have to figure out, and it sounds like you may not have the experience to tackle it. I know I wouldn’t.

#2. I don’t know what kind of yarn would work, it looks like a medium weight, smooth yarn. Needle size you would have to work out yourself based on a gauge you would have to figure out for yourself based on your yarn and the look you want.

#3. The sleeves could be done in the round, or knitted flat.

#4. If you don’t understand what she means by this, maybe it is over your head. This is not a put down at all. This kind of thing is not easy and even many very experienced knitters could not figure out something like this.

The front is worked sideways, but I’m not sure what happens in the back above the armhole level. The wide lavender stripe nearest the armhole edge becomes the middle lavender stripe we see on the back, the green stripe becomes the green stripe above that one on the back, and the narrow lavender stripe near the neckline becomes the narrow lavender stripe at the top back, just below the brown neck trim. But what happens between the first lavender stripe I mentioned above, and where the back ended that you left on a holder. :?? There seem to be some things showing up on the back that are above the armhole height, that are not accounted for by these directions. :shrug:

It seems to me if you aren’t able on your own to look at this picture and figure out what to do that you probably can’t do this without a pattern. You have to be a pretty intuitive knitter to be able to take a simple picture and run with it. You may be the type of person who can do this. I’m not I’m afraid. And if you need a lot of help, it is probably beyond anybody to just give you a few hints. What you may need is for someone to actually write a pattern for this sweater and that is probably beyond about 98% of us :lol: and would be a big undertaking for those with the ability.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at this sweater and even trying to draw out what to do, but knowing what I know about designing even a simple sweater, I know I wouldn’t dare actually try doing this myself. :oops: I wish I could help you, but I’m afraid it is over my head.:verysad:

This is a cute sweater, and if you love it I hope you will be able to figure out someway to go forward. Maybe save it for another day. :sun: Good luck. Merigold

thanks for the help! you’re right, it is probably over my head, but i’ll keep working at it and see what I come up with

This is similar shape, knit side to side. as an alternative maybe:shrug:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/persephone/persephone.html