Anyone knit Vicki Howell's Kick Ass-cot!? FIGURED IT OUT!

Has anyone knit Vicki Howell’s Kick Ass-cot!? I have cast on, knit the first four rows and am beginning the pattern stitch in rows 5 & 6.

Foaming Waves Stitch Pattern (source: 365 Stitches a Year)
Rows 1-4: Knit
Row 5 (RS): K1, *K2tog twice, (YO, K1) 3 times, YO, (sl1,K1, psso) twice, K1;rep from * to end.
Row 6: Purl
Rows 7-12: Rep Rpws 5 and 6 three more times.
Rep these 12rows for pattern.

I knit rows 5 & 6, but when I repeated row 5 (for rows 7-12), I ended up with one too many stitches. I did it again with the same results. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong each time, or if I’m not interpreting the pattern correctly, or if it’s written wrong. :??

After I do the last (2nd) set of sl1,K1, psso) twice, for row 5, I’m supposed to then knit one, but have 2 left on my left needle. :shrug:

Hmm…I was just looking over the pattern, trying to figure this thing out. I realize the very first knit 1 on row 5 is not included in the repeat. Maybe it :thinking: should be?

Foaming Waves Stitch Pattern (source: 365 Stitches a Year)
Rows 1-4: Knit
Row 5 (RS): K1, *K2tog twice, (YO, K1) 3 times, YO, (sl1,K1, psso) twice, K1;rep from * to end.
Row 6: Purl
Rows 7-12: Rep Rpws 5 and 6 three more times.
Rep these 12rows for pattern.

The way I’m reading it, it should work out as written. Let’s break it down and see if that might help:

K1 = 1 stitch
K2tog twice = 2 stitches (you end up with 2 stitches, though you use 4)
(yo, k1) x 3 = 6 stitches
yo = 1 stitch
(sl1, k1, psso) x 2 = 2 stitches
K1 = 1 stitch

The part between the is repeated twice for the amount of stitches you’re using, so we have (2+6+1+2+1 stitches) x 2 = 24 stitches, plus the 1 knit stitch before the * and you have 25 stitches.

Does that help at all?

I kept doing it until it finally came out right. Obviously the problem lies in the knitter-me. :oops: I shouldn’t be knitting this late. :ick:

Knitqueen, I guess you were posting about the same time as I updated. I must have tried knitting that 5 times before it finally came out right for me. Sometimes, I wonder why I bother sticking with this-the smallest things trip me up at times. :oops:

I appreciate your taking the time to help me with it, though. :thumbsup:

You must be forgetting a decrease somewhere. I looked at it and casting on 25, then doing the 12 stitch pattern repeats twice, gives you 25 with the first k1 all by itself. Or are you forgetting one of the K1s just before or after the sl stitch?

– k1 *k2tog, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, sl 1, k1, psso, k1 equal 25 sts, starting and ending.

sue

I’m not sure what I was doing wrong, Sue, but I did finally get it to work for me. Like I told Knitqueen, I think my problem may be that I’m knitting too late. :zombie:

I appreciate your responding! :smiley: