Anyone else sick of Harry P*tter?

No different then all the hype about some of the TV shows. I would rather see people reading Harry Potter then watching TV

I’ve never been a HP fan. I am tired of all of the hype. On the other hand, I think that I get excited about things that others would roll their eyes at.

What if your favorite cause is promoting education and literacy? It’s not like these people would be spending the money saving whales or stopping global warming.

As for the books being a fad, that’s a pretty impressive fad, lasting ten years and billions of dollars.

Not a fan…no interest…:shrug:

I have not read 1 book about Harry potter.Just not my thing at all.Alot of people seem to enjoy it alot,and thats ok by me…Sissy

The last book is certainly not written for a 13 year old level…

I read the first HP and really liked it. However, one was enough for me. I didn’t like it enough to read all the books, there are so many other books I want to read! I think I would enjoy the movies though.

Now all the attention it gets is over the top. I am really tired of it. It has nothing to do with Harry Potter really, but more with the media being obsessed about it.

I do think it’s awesome to see kids being so interested in literature! In that sense it’s very positive… and indeed a good cause.

Harry who?

Sorry, I love HP! My oldest son didn’t like to read until I bought him the first book. That purchase got him hooked on reading; my youngest is now reading the 1st book, even though we have seen all the movies so far.

I liked the first two movies and didn’t get very far on the first book. The latest movies maky HP look like a big baby.(Haven’t seen the newest) I think it’s great that kids want to read them. My kids used to not check out a book unless it had less than 200 pages. The oldest two (15 and 14) love HP, but the youngest (12) doesn’t quite “get” some of the things that go on and didn’t make it past the first. She’d rather read a good vampire story.

ETA: I would like to clarify that even though the older kids like shorter books (Eragon and The Eldest excluded) They both test at college level in reading comprehension… They prefer the shorter books because they can take more tests to get more AR points. (Required for school and counts as 1/3 of their literature grade)

I’m sorry, I am a HP fan.

I’m sorry I believe in getting kids to read instead of playing violent games.

I’m sorry that my 20+ year old students can’t read past a 6th grade level because they didn’t have HP in time and had high school teachers that let them slip through.

I’m sorry that all local newspapers are written at a 5th grade level.

I’m sorry that each HP book is written at the appropriate age reading level.

I’m sorry that your husband can’t seem to remember that his own students when tested can’t read past 5th grade level.

I’m sorry that the American versions of the books had to be dumbed down because we can’t read.

I’m sorry that even though HP may be a fad, at least it is an educational fad instead of Grand Theft Auto or any of the other cop killing, hooker screwing and beating games out there.

I’ve never read the HP books but I think if it gets kids to read than it can’t be that bad. I remember how I felt when I was 12 and I saw a box set of historical novels in the local bookstore window, I told my mother that I had to have them. In the same store window I saw the box set of the Chronicles of Narnia and I had to have that too. I got both box sets for my birthday. I guess I’m just a nerd at heart. BOOKS RULE!!! READING WILL ALWAYS BE COOL!!!

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

I had a post that I deleted and I have a million things to say, but I won’t. We all have a right to our opinions. Let’s keep it friendly. :hug:

For me this isn’t about reading or literacy. I don’t have a grade school child, just a 3 year old. It’s great that kids are reading.

Nadja…thank you for mentioning Chronicles of Narnia…that was my Harry Potter!

Jan- Trust me it took guts for me to start this thread. The knitting world is very pro-Harry. I was just curious if there was anyone else out there like me. We’re all free to our opinions.

I would have to say the first one was not all the well written, may be even the the first two or three, but at that point she got her groove and these books are going to be classics. The classical good vs evil/light vs dark theme just like Star Wars.

As I stood in my local bookstore near midnight and saw the cross section of people there to pick up their books, babes in arms to septigenarians and everything in between. I especially like the 14-24 year old crowd there. They have so many things they could be doing and they are there to get a book. READING!

Yes, it was very brave of you to start this topic. I think it wasn’t the initial topic that got me angered, it was that it turned from the hype, ads and news to HP bashing.

In my community the hype and excitement didn’t start until the day before the release, so I hadn’t had much of all the hubub. So, to me there wasn’t to much and I didn’t have to worry about getting sick of it. Plus, I don’t watch a lot of tv, so I didn’t see any ads on tv. Was there really that many? My local paper only had 2 write ups, one the day before and one the day after.

Oh! Yarnlady, I agree with you, the first book wasn’t written exceptionally well, but for a first book, she did fantastic. After a while, she really did get her groove on.

I’ve only finished half the last book. I have a huge research paper due tomorrow, so I am stuck writing it instead of reading. :frowning:

I am sick of it as well,i am not a fan,my son is or was,he is not bothered now.

For years I ignored Harry Potter. I knew it was for kids. I saw the first movie and read the first book. No big deal. I saw the second movie and read the second book. Surprisingly interesting, for a kids’ thing. Then I read the third book and saw the third movie and read the fourth book and the fifth book and the sixth book (in about one day!) and I just saw the fourth movie and I CAN’T WAIT TO GET MY COPY OF THE LAST BOOK.

I PREDICT…Some of you who can’t care less about it will pick up on it someday in the future and appreciate it for what it is: a really good story about good and evil.

and…SPOILERS should be stupefied.

It’s not my thing, but I can’t say anything bad about people getting hyped up about a book, I think it’s kinda neat. Like other things I couldn’t care less about, I just ignore the hype because it doesn’t pertain to me. If it makes someone happy to be excited about HP then so be it.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]And if they don’t, their grandkids will and then theyll finally give and enjoy the story! :teehee:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

and…SPOILERS should be stupefied.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Ain’t that the truth! So far, so good. I’ve got two disks left to listen to. I’ve cried more than I thought I would.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]