Any designers out there?

I’m knitting a stole using the mock rib. I want to add a panel of 2 repeats of Lion Brand’s lacy leaf pattern in the center, preferably with a K1, yo, Kl frame. I’ll put the pattern #in but the problem is this. The very common lacy leaf pattern #80737A begins with 17 sts. 1st row which decreases to 15 sts. for rows 2 - 7 and returns to 17 sts. on row 8. So, when I knit from another pattern to this one it eats up a stitch from the pattern next to it and then doesn’t return it. Is it possible to add something to overcome the lost stitch without the pattern pulling and looking goofy? Any opinions?
I’ve designed several things using various patterns together Lots of math involved but, I know that some just don’t work. Is this one of those? Jean

I think you could add any compensating stitches you needed to to keep the “line” …

Yes, I’ve tried one way that didn’t work. If R’s 1 & 8 (last row of pattern repeat) require 17 sts. then I’ll add 2 sts. to each repeat of the other rows that drop to 15 just to keep those 2 sts. available when returning to 17. That seems logical to me and the simplest way to proceed. Wanna bet? We shall see! Oh my, been thinking so hard I think I smell wood burning! Jean

I don’t know what the pattern looks like. So I have no clue if this will help. But when adding panels, I add a purl depression on each side between the base pattern. Ie purl RS ever row, knit WS every row. This stitch gets lost into the pattern & makes a nice valley. Then I just work the panel as though it were it’s own piece. Any increases or decreases are within it.

Thanks Abby. I understand your procedure, however, because my lacy leaf pattern changes st. amounts on its 1st and 8th rows 1 st. on each side of the panel doesn’t do it. Even if the panel pattern is kept it pulls the next sts. and ruins the look. I’m attempting to fix that problem now. I think I’ll need more than 1 st of allowance. The lacy leaf pattern is Lion Brand’s #80737A. I’m putting a 2 repeat panel within a mock knit(broken rib). Could’ve done all lacy leaf pat. but, my yarn doesn’t lend itself to it that well and I wanted a little variety. I could have done a cable or tree of life pattern and it would have been easier. This shawl is for a dear friend who has been an organic gardener for a long time and I like to make things that are relative to people’s life experiences - so my border is seed stitch and the leaf pattern I want in the center surrounded by broken rib pattern, which is what you think you might have when you garden at our age. If I can’t do it I’ll just do all broken rib with the seed st. border and make a neat shawl pin for it. No lives lost over it! Jean

Don’t add any sts on the lace pattern, because they’re put back in on another row. And it doesn’t matter for the rest of the knitting if you’re short a stitch because it’s only the lace panel that’s affected. So don’t change a thing.

Yes Sue, Of course you’re right. Figured that out yesterday when I did another couple of panels of the leaf pattern with an edge. I intended to post a new thread, “Confessions of a Knit Wit”, but you’ve given me a chance to be more covert. I think tomorrow I’ll go and get an oil and lube job on my brain. Certainly the lacy pattern, like others I’ve done, subtracts and adds back with yo’s to keep its integral shape. Not sure what I did to mess that up. Wish I did because that’s why I do new patterns etc. - to learn. It’ll probably boil down to a missed yo or a purl instead of a yo. Usually I practice and study a new pattern enough to “get the stupids out”. I guess this time I was one row short of that. Thanks, Jean