Any bulky yet fingering weight yarn?

Hi All,

Is there a bulky yet light in weight yarn that i can buy and make a shawl ?? fingering weight yarn always use a size 2/3/4 needle… i wonder is there a yarn that is bulky but very light that use a needle size 8 onwards??

i m running out of time to knit a shawl for someone …this fall… your help would be greatly appreciated… :muah:

Hi Hello Kitty. I’m not sure what it could mean to be both bulky and fingering weight at the same time, because those are two very different gauges. Do you mean a bulky yarn that is light in weight, not too heavy? If so, alpaca is said to be warm and light and weight, so you might find an alpaca yarn.

If you are doing a lace shawl, it is possible to use needles larger than size 4 even though you’re using a thin yarn, because lace patterns often require needles that are relatively big in comparison to the thickness of the yarn.

hope this helps.

I am looking for thick yarn but light in weight so it quicker to knit into shawl and is not too heavy to carry around

Does that mean…i can use alpaca yarn and use a size 8 needle then ??? will the lace pattern turn out okie then ?? :shrug:

How about some ultra alpaca from Borroco? Really light and soft but thicker than fingering but I think it would work great for a shawl. It would knit up faster than fingering.

http://www.berroco.com/yarns/ultra_alpaca.html

I think if you use a DK to worsted weight alpaca the shawl shouldn’t end up too heavy. Just be careful if you’re using a pattern that was written for fingering weight…you could end up with a shawl that would fit Paul Bunyon.