Antique winder I think

Hello I’m here because my mom passed away and I have to find out what this is and what its worth to help pay all the bills. It’s very old. 1800’s I’d think as the ends where the yarn would wrap are leather. It has a neat gear system that does turn but doesn’t seem to do much. So does anyone know more about this than me. I’m told its a skein winder but it doesn’t look like and I have found. Any help on year, what it is and value would be greatly appriciated.

I’m so sorry about your mom! :cry:

Boy that does look old, ,but I have no idea. Looks like it could be an old spinning wheel of some type! . I’m going to tag someone who may be able to help you. If it’s as old as you think it may be something a museum would want. @mullerslanefarm

2 Likes

I have found that this is a skein winder or swift from late 1800’s or very early 1900’s. I have one found 1 other example of it online. There are very few of these around anymore. As per value I am still at a loss. whatever someone is willing to pay I guess.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. My sincerest condolences.

It is a skein winder aka reel, and an unusual one at that. It doesn’t appear to be a ‘click reel’ that clicks when you reach a ‘skien’.

as for value, I paid $35 for a click reel from the mid-1800s about 10 year ago.

1 Like