Anthropologie Capelet

I need some help in revising the pattern for the Anthropologie-inspired Capelet in worsted weight instead of bulky.

I swatched and casted on 72 stitches. Now I need help determining where to place the markers for the raglan increases. I read on another site the cast on should be divisible by 4, but the original pattern has a CO that is not.

Also, in the original pattern, the increases are on purl rows… could I do the increases on knit rows and then purl the other rows? Since it is “reversible” I think I would end up with the same effect.

Candice

Edit:

I found another post on craftster (from the pattern writer) that said to modify for a different size: divide your CO by 6. So, my sections would be 12, 12, 24, 12, 12. Does this sound right, or am I missing something?

Have you seen the PDF of the pattern here? It gives directions for different sizes. I think, based on that, your number of stitches for each section is correct.

The only thing I noticed that is different from what you have is the number of cast-on stitches. She says if the number is even to add one to get your cast-on amount. I’m not sure why that is, maybe because of the 1x1 ribbing. I’m not sure if it makes a big difference or not. :??

Thanks, I had not seen the pdf. I wish I had an explanation for the odd number in the cast on. I knit the 2’’ of the collar with a CO of 72. At this point it wouldn’t be too painful to frog, if there was a good reason. If there isn’t a good reason, I’d rather just keep going with the even number.

Candice

Edit: just found this. I guess I’ll frog. Again.

" Just one point to add - I CO 49 instead of 48 because the odd number of cast on stitches makes each piece symmetrical. The back portion has an odd number of st so that the yos line up nicely with the ribbing."

Ah, that makes sense. Good to know! Sorry you have to frog though – at least you weren’t too far into it.

i would keep going the way you are. if you find out why you need an odd number later, you can just fudge it, or add in a random stitch.

Ok, more questions, tell me what I am missing. In the pattern, if I break it down by sections, there is an even number of stitches in the back section. My number in () is stitch count before adding in the yo. I am so confused!

Raglan Row:
section 1: k2, p6, yo, pm, (8 stitches)
section 2: p1, yo, p7, yo, pm, (8 stitches)
section 3: p1, yo, p15, yo, pm, (16 stitches)
section 4: p1, yo, p7, yo, pm, (8 stitches)
section 5: p1, yo, p6, k2 (9 stitches) :??

:?? I’m getting what you get. And, then to make things more confusing the pattern is slightly different on her blog.

:??

Okay, I just looked at the original pattern on Craftster, and it’s the same as the PDF. That’s the one I followed, and it worked out fine – so that means an odd # of stitches, but the “extra” stitch in section 5.

I think. :??

I think the extra stitch is supposed to go in the back section (turn 16 into 17)

I was planning on making this capelet and now I feel thoroughly confused! :??

If you’re going to use the same weight yarn, then just follow the pattern. :wink:

Maybe this post on craftster will help…

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62184.msg1114728#msg1114728

sue

Wow, I had no idea people had modified it so much! :shock:

I badly want to make another one. Worsted weight, longer sleeves, little longer back, is what I’m thinking.

I’m almost done with my worsted weight capelet – just a couple more rows of ribbing left to do. I left my original CO of an even number and the raglan lines up with the ribbing just like in the original capelet photos. Hopefully it will fit! This has been a great learning experience for me.

Candice

:cheering: Oh good, I’m so glad it worked out! Post some pics when you’re finished, I can’t wait to see it!