Another top down raglan question

I’m using the Incredible Top Down Pattern and I’m making a vneck. It says to increase until I have added the number of stitches I should have for each front side. Then it says to follow the pattern for a regular neck. But that says to add the number of front stitches you should have. I need to add 18 stitches. Do I cast on 18 at the join or do I add 18 spread evenly across the front?

Maybe they’re talking about the raglan increases?

Here’s the pattern for anyone who’s interested.

All she is saying is that the total number of increase stitches you add for a v-neck is the same as it would be if you were doing a round neck – in your case, the number is 18. If you were doing a round neck, you would have added 4 or 5 stitches on each side of the neck (18 times 0.25 to make what she calls the right front stitches and left front stitches), and then cast on the remaining 8 or 10 stitches in the middle (center front stitches). Since you’re doing a V-neck, you will be increasing 9 stitches on each side of the neck every 4-6 rows instead of every other row (this makes the angle of the neck edge steeper), and join to start working in the round at the point of the V – you won’t have any center front stitches to cast on at all since you don’t want the neck to be rounded. Make sense?

If you happen to have Vogue Ultimate Knitting, a better explanation of the same basic pattern is in there. I’ve seen it in other books too, but lots of folks seem to have that one.

Thanks