Another socks on Circ's question

Where can I find a patter that will allow me to adjust to make socks for everyone in the family?

Also, how do I know what size needles/cables to buy?

Can anyone help??

TIA!

My 2 favorite :heart: sock knitting books are Charlene Schurch’s Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks. You’ll find patterns for everyone and then some

I use either US1s 2 Addi turbo circs 24inches each or US1s 1 Addi turbo circ for magic loop.

IMO you only need patterns to get you to understand the formula. Once you know what works for you you just make them.
You may still need to look at a written pattern to get the turn and toe right but the formula is coming out of your head.

Cast on, 100%
Calf length to fit
Heel flap width 50%
Flap length to fit
Gusset pick up 25%/25%
foot to fit
toe 25% +/- to fit

Here is the site I got those percentages from, http://www.royea.net/formula.html
I thought I dropped a bookmark for a better one but I can’t find it right now.

Judging by the crochet socks I did I like the gusset decrease to happen faster (quite a bit faster) and a shorter flap. I have to write down what I did so I can follow it but I’m only using the basic idea from the original pattern.

Needle size depends on the yarn. I only desire heavy winter wool socks so 3 and 4 is as small as I need.

Thanks for the info so far. If it matters for needle size, I wouldn’t want to do anything frilly. Basic socks for either year-round and then some winter weight…

See, I have kind of the same question…how do you adjust a pattern for different foot sizes? Most I see are written for a woman’s medium. My foot is nowhere near a medium. I wear a 10, and in some cases an 11 (thanks dad for the big feet). I want to be able to make some to fit me, but how do I know how many to cast on and such…I’m going to go check out that link.

It’s the same problem trying to find guy sock patterns.
That’s why I started right off the bat with the crochet socks trying to figure out the % formula.
Made one with the basic formula and then adjusted that to give an even better fit.

Sounds like you could use a “sock calculator”. Go to this link and follow the directions and you have everything you should need to help you knit whatever size sock you want. The calculator uses data that you provide – stitch guage, shoe size, man/woman/child, etc. – and works out the details for you, like how many stitches to cast on, how long to make the leg, how many stitches to use for the heel flap, how long to knit the flap, how many stitches to pick up for the gussets…

Take a look and see what it tells you. And if this calculator doesn’t work for you, search on Google for “sock calculator” – there are several out there and maybe one of them will work better for you!

Hope this helps! And happy knitting!

FABULOUS, thanks!!!

One is that I keep seeing patterns, some to do on the round using circs, but I’m still not seeing what sized needles I need. Am I a dunce and am just overlooking this info? I don’t want thin, dressy socks, but just everyday weight socks…

They might be expecting you to use whatever needle gives you the gauge, but usually they do say something like, “size X or whatever it takes to get gauge”.

LOL - I’m still just learning really, so I don’t know what my gauge is! :roflhard: I do know that I knit on the tight side, not the loose side! :wink:

I think all the sock patterns on this site have needle recommendations.

Needle size depends on the yarn you are using and the gauge you get with that yarn. You can make socks from lightweight (fingering) yarn on #1 needles, midweight (DK) yarn on #4 needles, or worsted weight yarn on #8 needles. Or different needle sizes altogether, depending on how loosely or tightly you knit.

No matter how new a knitter you are, you’ve got to get your head around the idea of gauge. Patterns alone don’t guarantee that you’ll get the size you want. Gauge is simply a matter of how many stitches per inch you get with a given yarn and needles. Yours may be entirely different from the designer’s.

Charlene Schurch’s books are excellent for helping you figure out what needle size to use with a specific yarn. Another good one is Ann Budd’s book, Getting Started Knitting Socks. (But with any of them, you’ll still have to know your own personal, individual gauge.)