Another beginner question

The pattern I have starts with 2 stitches. Then it says “K1 M1 - 3 stitches”. I know that means to knit 1 stitch, and then make another stitch in between the first and second. However that still leaves me with one stitch on my left needle. Do I just knit that normally?

M1 means an increase of your choice. Since you also need to use one stitch as you make a new stitch this would be a knit front and back, or another increase that uses one sts and makes two from it.

Welcome to the forum.

Depending on the pattern, it seems to me that you could also work a M1 by lifting the bar between sts. Then you would knit the last stitch. What is the name of the pattern? Does it recommend a particular increase?

It was a pattern for doing a simple border on a potholder. The book I’m learning out of says for an m1 you should lift the bar and then knit it. I figured out through many many tries that I was supposed to leave the last stitch on the left needle and then go to the next row, where it was worked back into the pattern

1 Like

Ahha, very tricky. Good thing you figured out that last stitch. We’d love to see the finished potholder.