'Andean Folk Knits' double knit questions

Hi All,

I am having problems either with the pattern, the technique, or both, so I have a few questions.

I am attempting to make a double knit striped muffler for my husband, but I have not done double knit before. Hopefully I’m using that term correctly. The pattern is Marcia Lewandowski’s Andean Folk Knits striped muffler on pages 98-100.

Switching colors on same side questions: My main question is regarding double knitting (i.e., reversible) with two colors showing in reverse on either side. That is, on each side, there are two colors showing, and the reverse set of colors showing on the other side.

Once I have all of the stitches cast on, I can see how one color would be knit for one side, and the next stitch (alternating color) would be purled for the other side. My question is what happens when I need to switch colors for a particular side? Do I already have all the yarn and colors I need from the cast on stitches (and just knit the alternating color instead for the side showing), or do I treat each side individually, and attach new yarn for that side to change colors? Does that make sense?

I tried to work a sample first, thinking that when I got to the color change, I would understand it, but I’m still confused.

Does anyone know of good references (websites? books?) for this particular form of double knitting?

I have a few other questions regarding reading the pattern’s double knit chart, and also this pattern’s instructions for casting on, but I’m afraid this post is too lengthy already, so I will save those questions for later!

Thanks!

I haven’t done this type of knitting, but I do have the book. Looking at the instructions, I get the impression that you’d have two strands for each side–one of each color on both the knit and purl side. Otherwise, the two sides would become attached where you switch yarn color and you’d have trouble with the next row.

Just my gut feeling.

[color=indigo]I saw a 2 color, double knitting demo on a recent Knitty Gritty show. As Ingrid has said, you would need two strands for each color, or else you would be joining the work each time you switched color. You should be able to find the KG show on DIT site if you search for “double knit”. I’ll check if I saved it on my DVR.

Good luck,

Landolphe[/color]

I have been doing a lot of this technique
if the pattern only calls for 2 colors, you only use 2 strands

When knitting a Black row on front, and White in back your needle will show kb(Knit Black) pw(Purl White) kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw kb pw (looking down the colors will be bwbwbwbwbwbw)
Now if you were doing alternating colors for BOTH sides your needle would look like kb pw kw pb kb pw kw pb Looking down the colors will be bwwbbwwbbwwb)

the places where the colors change sides actually tack the sides together
it does not compromise the warmth of the garment
my Double Knit hats are WAY warm, almost too warm

I do not know the specific pattern you are working on, and if it needs to NOT be held together for some reason, but this is how I have been doing it
and I did use Amy’s Video to learn how

I just came up with a way to do decreases without showing so much color bleed as I did the first few hats I made

ecb

I just returned from the yarn shop, and saw all of your responses - thank you so much for taking the time to help me figure it out.

I, too, originally thought that using just two strands in total would cause the two sides to be attached and that somehow that wouldn’t be right.

If I’m thinking of the same DIY Knitty Gritty video, I had tried to watch it, but the technique for switching colors on the same side still eluded me. Here’s the webpage with the link to the video that I looked at: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3603864,00.html (Sorry, I don’t know yet how to highlight a word and have that word be the link to the website.)

The woman helping me at the yarn shop had never tried this technique before either, so we tried it together. Basically I think we did exactly what ECB wrote, and so far that looks right. (I’m interested in how you did your decreases?)

I’m very excited to have learned something new about knitting today, and to try out this technique.

Thank you all again!

Slide a Knit stitch over he Purl Stitch so you can Knit the 2 together
then purl the 2 purl Stitches together also

its a bit difficult at first, but it gets easy when yousee how wqell it works

be sure to do a color change every 4 rows or so to tack down the sides (I did a row of alternating colored stitches on the drecrease rows, and then solid colors on the Knit rows, the an alternating row starting with color 2 for that row, [ths blends down the color changes to look intentional)

Just how I do it
and I have found that those nice intricate faire Isle patterns like “We call the Pirates” work well with reveresed/double knitting

ecb