An Aha! Moment

I’ll admit that up to now I’ve always had trouble “'reading” stitches, being able to look at the stitches on the needles and tell the knits from the purls. It’s easy in the actual worked part, but what was on the needles eluded me. Until now.

I was knitting on the scarf and got a phone call in the middle of a row. I set it aside and took the call. When I picked it back up I was like “where was I?” Before I would have just counted the stitches to figure it out but this time I looked at the stitches and saw that the next two stitches were knit stitches, followed by two purl stitches, and I knew exactly where I left off in the pattern.

That little light bulb went off and I realized that somewhere along the way I learned how to read the stitches and tell the knits from the purls on the needles.

It’s very handy to be able to tell them apart as it makes it a whole lot easier if you lose track of where you are in the pattern.

Ok, so I’m slow, but I finally ‘get it’.

I do believe that moment creeps up on most of us. I know that I remember the exact moment when it seemed to all just make sense like never before. I thought, “OMG I just read knit!!”.

I am happy that you have reached that point as well… it’s all down hill from here!

Kats

:thumbsup: I’m always telling new knitters that. It makes a lot of difference!

Yay! I remember that light bulb!

Congratulations!!! :cheering:

Congratulations! It took me quite a while to ‘get it’ too, but it has made all the difference in my knitting. Now I notice mistakes much sooner and I know how to fix those mistakes! This has also made me more relaxed when I knit.

Hoo-ray for you! :woohoo:

The force is with you.

That Great Mason. I am knitting the same scarf… It is nice when you can “read” knit.

It took me a while to figure that out too. Feels great ain’t it? :slight_smile:

Yipee :cheering: Mason! Less counting for you now. :smiley:

aww jealousssss! go mason for being smarter than me! lol :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Hee! I remember when I figured that out. Couldn’t believe that it took me so long, either. :rofl:

I had that moment too. My favorite aha! moment was when I realized that instead of tinking back to a mistake, I could just drop the stitch, fix it and pick it back up with a crochet hook. What a time saver that is.

That’s the best! I do that, too. It’s fun to have attained a proficient level of knitting literacy.

Nah, not smarter by a long shot. It took me quite a while. You’ll get there too. It’s funny but now it just seems so frigging obvious.

Exactly. Why does it take so long? Dense brain matter? :rofl:

I just figured that out in August too.

Kind of startling - it just kind of hits you full force.

It is great once you can read the knits from the purls. Congrats:clink::clink: It all comes in time for us sometimes longer.:passedout:

Me too Sabrina. That saves a lot of frogging. I am teaching a friend to knit and I keep telling her that one day she will recognize the stitches. I will tell her about your aha moment Mason. Congratulations:cheering:

Yes - it’s great to finally read the knitting. It makes it SO much easier! I know when I heard people talking about reading knitting prior to me actually being able to, I was baffled. And one day it just clicks!