Am I alone?

I knit Continental…just because that’s how the person who taught me knit. I’d like to learn English eventually, just to be able to do both, but I’m still working on feeling confident enough in the way I learned. :teehee:

I think you just go with whatever works for ya! :thumbsup:

I am an English knitter because thats how my grandmother taught me…I tried doing continental style and it felt uncomfortable and I was slooooow so its English style for me…but here is a little trivia I learnt when watching a History Channel documentry. Apparently the English method of knitting was introduced as it was more
"lady like" :rollseyes: so there ya go!

I say go with what you are happy with, my left wrist is slightly dodgy , old war injury (actually a roller skates injury back in the
70s :lol: ) so English helps my wrist to rest.

Karen-Ann
Down Under

I’ve always knit continental. Don’t know any other way.:drool:

I think ANY way is the right way just as long as the person is knitting.:rofl:

I always think it’s funny when people tell me I could knit faster if I used the Continental method.

I mean, what’s the deal? Am I supposed to be winning a race here?
I have no desire to be a production knitter. I want to enjoy my craft, instead of rushing through project after project.

I’m a real english knitter. I was taught that way by my mom and although I learned how to knit continental as well, it doesn’t feel as relaxing as english knitting. It’s like sandeh says, continental might be faster, but what’s the fun of being fast if you don’t like the style. The throwing gives some sort of relaxation, so I’ll stick with the english way.

Just because I was curious, I gave continental a shot for awhile last night - very weird. Felt like I was starting all over :D.

I knit continental (it seems natural since I did crochet forever before knitting), but English is very soothing–it has a rhythm that continental lacks. Fair isle is a real joy because I use both styles at once. My only problem with English style is that I still haven’t mastered how to hold the yarn. Even on fair isle projects it takes a few rows for me to get the hang of it. Once my right hand remembers what to do, I’m fine. It just has to re-learn every time since I don’t do fair isle often.

I am also a process knitter, and it sometimes bothers me that I knit as fast as I do. Projects end very quickly. Too quickly. I tend not to think I knit fast, but that I can finish a pair of socks in a day suggests otherwise.

I have been knitting for about 12 years now and never new there are different styles’ of knitting till now …And I am still not sure what kind of style I use :shock:

It is similar to continental , only I don’t hold my index finger up .
I wrap the yarn around my pinkie and the yarn just lays across the rest of my left hand . I found that by holding my index finger up in the air with the yarn caused too tight of a gauge, I was fighting with the needles. I am so use to knitting this way and have been for a while , that my knits move along pretty quickly. So, I really don’t think it matters what style you do that causes speed knitting.I think it is more experience based .

I tried English style last night and was all thumbs…so I will be sticking with my style . Besides , no matter what style a person knits with, it is comforting. I am always dozing off while knitting, yep , my family gets a real good laugh when they watch me knit…lol

It is interesting that there are so many different styles of knitting.
Thanks for sharing .:mrgreen:

I enjoy knitting English and am sure it will always be my primary style. I’m not interested in knitting faster. I am wanting to learn conti style because I think it’s always good to learn new techniques and also it comes in handy when knitting double strands.

rant warning

I don’t know why people put such an emphasis on speed these days, be it in knitting or anything else, for that matter. If you enjoy the process and you are comfortable doing it, than who cares other than you? Now, if you are a results knitter, than you might want to learn a faster style, but most of us don’t. I know that when I knit, I knit to unwind and relax, and knitting as fast as possible, you don’t get that.

rant over

I knit continental, but I’m not a fast knitter by any stretch of the imagination. One of my good friends is an english knitter and can knit with alarming speed. I originally chose continental b/c I read that it could often be the more difficult style to learn, and I love to torture myself. :teehee: And it just felt more natural to me.

It’s what you’re comfortable with doing and one style is not better than the other. It’s the process, the finished item, and the fact that you made it with your own hands.

What he said.

I knit english and I’m quite happy with it. Maybe someday I’ll learn continental just for the heck of it. But as long as english gets the project done, I’m happy with it.

I knit english style. I like it. It’s what I learned as a child and so it makes sense to me. I did not knit for many years in between learning and picking it up again last year. However, my aunt tried to teach me continental style and I was having all sorts of trouble. I told her that wasn’t how I learned to knit and she had my cousin show me english style and it was one of those lightbulb moments, where I remembered exactly how to knit. I am content to keep knitting this way. People tell me continental goes so much faster, but this is what works for me. It’s personal preference. Would I feel the same way if I learned continental as a kid? Probably not. I’d probably be saying the same thing but with continental and english switched.

I like my knitting my way. Other people prefer the other ways. To each their own.

You often brag about how fast you knit, so I’m not quite sure why you’re ranting :shrug:

I started out as a crocheter also, but Continental wasn’t any more natural for me than English. I guess it’s because knitting seemed so different to me, the hand with which I held the yarn didn’t make that much of a difference.
It’s weird, though, that so many crocheters say they prefer Continental.

I knit English…I learned from a book before I found KH, and I couldn’t make heads or tails of the Conti directions. :shrug:

I want to learn Conti, just because I do have problems with my hands through my elbows (tendonitis in my elbows: fun for every nerve ending!), and I want to see if it will ease the pain, but I don’t think that one is “better” than the other–as long as your FO looks good, the method doesn’t matter.

I learned crochet and knitting at the same time as a child. Dropped knitting (bad me) and crocheted for around 30 years before picking up knitting again. I absolutely cannot get the hang of conti, so I’ll be sticking with english. I think it has to do with how I have to hold the yarn. I have to wrap around my index finger because of an accident as a child. (Arms, window, stitches, nerve damage to pinkies)

Stiney, the tendonitis might be from knitting itself, having them bent for long periods of time can cause tension in the arm muscles. Do some stretches and massaging to see if that improves it any. sue

I agree. I was a crocheter long before I was a knitter. When I first started knitting it seemed natural to hold the yarn in my left hand, but in the end it felt awkward and uncomfortable. So I tried english and while it took the usual amount of time to master it felt much better from the beginning.