Am I alone?

Or are other knitters out there content knitting in the english style? It seems everyone wants to knit continental and while I can do that and have enjoyed it, something about the english way brings a calmness to me.

I just wondered if there was anyone else like me? :slight_smile:

Well, I knit Continental. I always have, a week after I started knitting. But, some of the best knitters around here knit in the English style (like Ingrid, she knits English.) Just be comfortable with your own style, if you get what you like, than it’s right. I just feel a certain comfort when I knit Continental, but that’s just me. Knit whatever way is right for you, no matter what.

i’ve always knit english and only just recently learned continental. to be honest, i can see myself switching back and forth depending on the project. if it’s rows of stockinette? i’ll do conti. if it’s anything more complicated? i’ll probably just stick with my good old english.
it’s like a security blanket. :hug:

I agree with you, robynbird. When I first found knittinghelp.com, I learned to knit continental, and I’m glad that I did; but the rhythm of knitting english is very relaxing to me, and it is still my preferred style.

~Tik

I like it just fine. I haven’t learned how to knit continental yet, but I’m not in a hurry.

I suppose if I was ever eager to get things done more quickly I might want to learn, but I’m pretty quick as it is so I’m satisfied.

I’m a firm English knitter. It’s what knitting [I]is[/I] for me. It’s how I learned and the rhythm and movement is what makes knitting so pleasurable to me.

When I was a teenager, I used to watch the old Italian women on the train zipping through their knitting Conti style and couldn’t figure out from watching them how they did it.

Now that I could knit Conti if I wanted to, it just doesn’t seem like knitting to me. I have to pay too close attention at this point, too.
I’m satisfied with what I’ve made my way, so I’m sticking to it.

I’ve been knitting English for a year now, and I’ve been happy. I could stay this way (and might still wind up doing so), but I want to give Continental a try for future projects.

I’m a person who likes efficiency. Everything I read tells me that Continental is more efficient.

So, I’m willing to try. But if I need to go back to English for good, I’ll be okay with that too.

I’m with Ingrid. I prefer English…but for completely different reasons.

I have constant pain in my left hand and wrist, so the only thing I can do with that hand is hold the left knitting needle. My right hand will also hurt if I twist my wrist, so I can’t “pick out” stitches the Continental way. (I had to quit crochet for the same reason.)

So, I imagine that I’ll be an English knitter for life. :thumbsup:

I have been knitting for 4 years and the whole time I have been using the english method. I’ve heard continental is more efficient, but I don’t plan on switching… I am content with the way I knit. :slight_smile:

Another English knitter here. That’s the way I chose (though I now don’t remember why) when I learned and that’s what feels completely comfortable to me. I’ve tried Continental a few times, but I give up after a few stitches. It just doesn’t feel “right” to me and my tension is way too loose.

I taught my grandmother, aunt, and brother how to knit English, and I found the rhythm to be nice, but I still prefer my Continental. Don’t know why, I guess it’s the way I [I]officially[/I] learned, so I stick with it.

I knit English and don’t see any real reason to switch. I could if I wanted to, but I just don’t care to. English is fine for me!

I’ve heard it’s more efficient too…not for me …but it does hurt my right wrist so I usually can only do it for a bit. I guess we should all just knit the way we feel most comfortable and not feel any pressure to change right? :slight_smile:

I’m happy being English! I’ve tried conti (or combo knit really) and my tension is too tight. I may hold my yarn in my left for a while sometimes, but it’s not as fast and mindless as `regular’ knitting. BTW, I don’t really move my hand as much as is demonstrated in the videos either. You don’t have to.

I don’t’ either. :slight_smile:

The only part of my right hand that moves very much, when knitting English style, is my pointer finger. I’m not a thrower in that way, but more of a “winder,” if you know what I mean.

Continental vs English is kind of like Mac vs PC, but when you come down to it it really doesn’t matter as long as you can get the job done and enjoy it while you’re at it. I read a lot of knitting books and I’ve seen a lot of videos what I’ve discovered is that one way is NOT necessarily faster or more efficient. It seems to all come down to how you do it. I’ve seen continental knitters take longer to do a stitch than me because of the way they hold the yarn. I’ve seen english knitters (like myself ahem!) knit in one smooth motion and it barely seems like “throwing”.

It’s personal preference…do what works for you and be happy. :slight_smile:

I agree wholeheartedly with Jan. One is not necessarily faster than the other, it’s just how comfortable [I]you [/I]are with [I]your[/I] style. My Continental knitting is very fast, but that’s probably because of practice and the way I hold my yarn. A lady in my LYS knits English and she can knit almost 100 stitches per minute, as can I, so it really all depends, again, on how comfortable you are with the way you knit. The needles are a factor, too, but that’s a whole different debate…

What Jan said. I’m so tired of hearing people say conti is more efficient and faster. I don’t care about that. Its all about the process being as relaxing as possible. I am in nooooo hurry.

English knitters unite!!:cheering:

I knit English and have no desire to change. Why knit faster? That means I finish a project faster and have to start all over on something new sooner! And, when I say I’m just going to knit x more rows, I get more time than if I were knitting faster! I also use Boye needles, acrylics (Red Heart if needed), and anything else I find that fits my needs! I like it that way!