am confused

I am a self thought knitter and I need help with this pattern reading. Please explain to me in plain language.
Dec one st at neck edge in every row until 17 rem
Please does that include both the ws and rs?
Cast of 6 sts at beginning of next row and alt row. Work one row cast of remaining 5
The alt row is cast of done at only the ws or both.?

First can you provide a link to the pattern ? Where it tells you to dec st at neck edge in every row until 17 st rem does include both ws and rs.if you have started the 17 st dec on a ws you will do your last dec on a rd therefore you will cast off 6 st on ws the alt row will also be a ws. Does this make sense to you?

Omg that means I messed up. I was wondering because it never said purl so I
had to do everything on the knitting side and never on the purling side.
The pattern am using is a piece of she a friend gifted me

Now you have confused me." I was wondering because it never said purl so I
had to do everything on the knitting side and never on the purling side." That is why I asked you about a link what type of stitches are you doing? Garter or Stockinette?

It is garter stitch dear am doing a sweater

Then I stand with what i said in my previous post. There is no purl row

Ok dear but please explain this to me. Shape neck-next row (ws)- cast/bind
of 9 (10-10)sts, knit to end =22 (23-25)sts
Dec one st at neck edge in every row until 17 rem (18-19) st rem
At the Dec side I rather decreased at the knitting side only so that when
it gets to the purl side I purl till it is knitting then I decrease is that
right?
Shape shoulder: cast/bind off 6 sts at beg of next row and fill alt row

First garter st is when you knit each row but i am confused because you continue to refer to a purl row?? You are going to work your CO sts and knit to the end of the row.then you are going to decreasing on the end of the next row therefore you will do the decreases alternating between the beginning and the end of the rows. Does this make sense?

I’m a beginner and i just learned to knit and purl and them am trying my
first project but i really get confused. it really difficult for me. but i
want to achieve something with this

1 Like

No problem I meant no offense. we are all here to help each other, you just confused me. Was it a little easier to understand my last post? I understand that you were given this pattern by a friend of yours, usually having a link to the actual pattern helps us to help you with your issue. I am not sure I understand what you are asking in this “Shape shoulder: cast/bind off 6 sts at beg of next row and fill alt row” I understand you are shaping the shoulder, you are going to CO 6 sts at the beginning of the next row but I am not sure what this means “and fill alt row” Is there a typo or did you leave something out??

1 Like

I wonder if a drawing would make this a little clearer? Yes, after the cast off of 9sts for the underarm, it’s a decrease every row 5 times at the neck edge as Trisha wrote. That means decreasing on the RS and on the WS according to the pattern. Once you’ve gotten to 17sts, begin the cast off for the shoulder

.2 KH

The arrows are meant to show the direction that you’re knitting.

2 Likes

Great diagram salmonmac didn’t think about making a drawing.

I’m so sorry that you are having a hard time. Can you provide a link and the name of the pattern so we can look at the pattern as a whole. This way we will be able to figure out a plan for you😀

I know it’s rough learning to knit. I am new also have found this site a life saver. Don’t give up as it can be very frustrating as you are learning. One of these days you will look back and laugh at the frustration you have now and see how far you have come. It happens to me everyday lol :grinning:

This awesome the way you are helping her visually. You are a wonderful teacher! I may need help like this in the future :grinning:

Oh thank you so much Trisha and tangles the drawing is wonderful.
Trisha I meant to say foll not fill
Thank you all the the wonderful help

Okay thst makes sense. So you will cast off 6 sts at the beginning of the next row and again alt row. (For example row 1 and row 3) . Let us know how it turns out. You will have a great feeling of accomplishment when you have finished .:slight_smile:

My project is called baby set
But there is no link
It is from knit& purl acrylic 8 ply yarn
In response to the alt row I was thinking that it is only done at the ws
but now if I need to decrease and it is at the ws or right side decrease
has to be done am I right?
I have another question dear
K18 rows garter sts
Rep last 20 rows once then first 2 (buttonhole) rows once=3 buttonholes in
total
Please explain this too dear
If you can give me a diagram too it will be of great help dear.

I appreciate all of your help

In response to your first part of your question regarding alt row, if original row or first dec is done on the ws then the alt row is also a ws row. I am not sure what you are asking. You are going to do 18 rows using the garter st, then you are going to repeat the last 20 rows once mote. Then according to what you wrotr you are going work 2 buttonhole rows making 3 buttonholes. Do you understand how to make buttonholes? Is this a pattern that is found on the wrapping of the skeinog yarn you are using, if do can you take a picture of the directions?

We actually can’t reprint large portions of a pattern here because of copyright laws. A few lines or a small section is ok.

It seems to me that there must be instructions for a 2 row buttonhole preceding the directions quoted.
“K18 rows garter sts
Rep last 20 rows once then first 2 (buttonhole) rows once=3 buttonholes in
total”

So working from bottom of the drawing to top you would have 18 garter stitch rows between the buttonholes:
4KH

Sorry salmonmac i thought that if the pattern was written on the back of the skein wrapping that copyright laws would not apply since it is free and for anyones use otherwise I would not have asked her to take a picture. Now you have me confused. There are 18 rows of garter st, then it tells you to repeat the last 20 rows once more (don’t see buttonhole between there) because it then says “then” first buttonhole rows once with 3 buttonholes in total. HELP!