Alternate rows

Hi

I’m knitting a cardigan in plain garter stitch and the pattern says to decrease a stitch at the raglan armhole edge of 2nd and follow 3rd alt rows. What’s a 3rd alternate row? I know what alternate row is (every other row) but 3rd alternate row? I’m so confused.

Can you quote the direction exactly? It might be to dec on the 2nd row then the following 3rd then the following 2nd, the following 3rd etc.

Thanks :blush:. It’s as follows, and I’m knitting the 2nd size.

Shape front neck
Keeping stripes correct, cont as follows:
next row (rs) (K2tog) 1 [0: 1: 1: 1] times, K10 [12: 11: 14: 14] and
turn, leaving rem 7 [8: 8: 8: 9] sts on a holder (for Neckband).
11 [12: 12: 15: 15] sts.
Dec 1 st at neck edge of next 4 rows, then on foll 2 alt rows, then on 0 [0: 0: 1: 1] foll 4th row and at same time dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 4th [2nd: 2nd: 2nd: 2nd] and foll 2 [3: 3: 5: 5] alt rows. 2 sts.Work 1 row, ending after 6 [6: 8: 2: 2] rows using E [E: E: F: F] and with a ws row.
next row (rs) K2tog and fasten off.

So for the 2nd size: Dec 1 st at neck edge of next 4 rows, then on foll 2 alt rows,
and at same time dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 2nd and foll 3 alt rows. 2 sts.

Ok, so this is slightly different.
Dec at the neck edge on rows 1,2,3,4 and 6, 8.
On the raglan edge, dec on rows 2,4,6, and 8.

Thanks so much! it worked! :slight_smile:

Phew! :smiley: even I couldn’t work that one out and I’ve been knitted for years.

Well that’s made me feel better. I’d like to think of myself as quite a competent knitter but this whole pattern has left me a bit perplexed. The wording is all out compared to others I’ve used!