All XtopherCB, All The Time

http://www.strauchfiber.com/ball_winder.php

This was the first knitting tool hubby bought me .Ok, so it’s not a cheap-o but then I have wound many of Hanks with it and it keeps on balling :rofl:

I just noticed your Days of Future Past sig, puts me in the mood for some Moody Blues and Back to the Future.

Had to save this in my library , thank you. I love the kitty in the photo, to dam funny :rofl:

i’ve seen those online, nana - lucky you to have such a fancy tool and generous hubby!

my jo-ann f&c only carries the $80 electric one (boye, i think)… same with hancock fabrics. craft warehouse is going out of business (with a crappy GOOBer sale… and even surlier than usual employees, but still no ball winder*). hobby lobby had their yarntopia (? - yarn-a-riffic? yarn-tastic?) brand ball winder, but i’ve read online it’s really cheaply made, and i didn’t have an extra 40% off coupon. mine were already in-use for quilts of valor fabric. i thought about wally world when i was there last week, but they actually have more crochet items than knitting, and are missing some key items, including ball winders, sock yarn, and most notions. and the aisle was like a hurricane aftermath. i think i’ll just amazon one (yes, i just verbed ‘amazon.’ deal with it. :wink: )

(*seriously, it’s bad. i found 1 good thing, a 100g ball of sock-ease for $1.25, but the rest was either still overpriced acrylics, or not-even-on-sale-yet cascade 220, and even though they plan to be open for another 7-8 weeks, they were already throwing the skeins into shopping baskets for people to dumpster dive, instead of keeping them on the shelves and consolidating as needed.)

Something I’m going to use repetitively like a ball winder I want it to work right. If a ball winder fails to wind right it can be a problem . I ball skeins as well. I’ve had it since 2005 and it wasn’t until last year Hubby had to adjust it for me and he made new bands for me ,because to order new ones was out of the question when you’re married to a ‘Tim the tool man’:wall:

Hey maybe if you knitted the Yeti you could then sell it for the price of the Strauch winder :rofl:

fa-fa-fajitas! (for dinner)… that is all, you may now go about your lives… :slight_smile:

as my own acountabilibuddy, i have to update myself, on myself.

recently finished:

1. pattern for in-development hat. now being test-knit/tweaked by 3 lovelies - so much trust. :wink:
  2. main body of kate’s 30 hearts cowl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/30-hearts-cowl). now i just need to wash, block, duplicate stitch a heart, and think about that i-cord or garter applied edge. but progress is progress. (pix below)
  3. major clean-up of digital patterns. finally have the pdf’s sorted into ‘socks,’ ‘cowls/scarves,’ ‘sweaters,’ ‘holiday,’ etc.

projects on the needles now:

1. rib & zig-zag stockinette ‘fava beans & a nice chianti’ socks. #2 needles are so teeny tiny some days.
  2. both 3-strand pot holders. although one is almost done.
  3. SisIL’s dishcloths were frogged and restarted, this time in basic patterns. she won’t appreciate any effort or design, and will barely appreciate the color, so easy-for-me is how it goes.
  4. 4 cup-cozies for mom. yes all 4 to do, still.
  5. swatches for the in-development hat.

projects to be on the needles soon:

1. estonian lace scarf, from a group KAL. - on hold as the OP has gone missing.
  2. sweater, for me. decided on the one. now just need to gather the yarn.
    3 and 4) socks and socks. so many sock yarns. so many feet. so little time.
  3. seahawk color mini pom-poms for mom’s project. i just saw cascade yarns has a ‘hawks’ colorway in fingering and worsted… 1 hank of either would be way plenty. and i could maybe make some fingerless mitts from the leftovers.

in extended time-out:

1. aunt sherry’s blanket. i’m really thinking about undoing the bind off, frogging/knitting straight from the panel like it’s a yarn blank, and making it an easy garter stitch throw.

recently frogged:

1. #3 under ‘otn’ above
  2. seahawks scarf. time for a rethink. was nice cleaning up that pile of garter stitch.

ok, fine, twist my arm, i admit it, i need:

1. still just a yarn ball winder. it’s not high-priority

I am exhausted just reading this how do you find the time ? I love the stitch pattern on the scarf , cowl (not a clue) but I really like the pattern, what is it ?

ha, it’s not that bad. everything in small amounts, that’s about all the time i have for them. a row here, a round there. the cowl had seed stitch top & bottom with a knit/purl motif of hearts, 30 of of them total. then you duplicate stitch one of them in a contrast color. after blocking it should be about 26x8.

i giggled at these, and then thought, ‘hmm, maybe…,’ since it was a little chilly biking on the greenway the other day. :wink:

That’s to funny, with my luck I’d forget I had my hands in them and go to wave at someone and fall of the bike :rofl:

Viral video material. :wink:

i don’t watch many silly youtube videos… but i’d watch THAT! :wink:

so i came across the attached picture on ravelry, as an advertisement, when i was surfing through… and i thought hmm… that looks very very familiar… sure enough, i have an entire 14 oz mill end bag of spud & chloe stripey fine, in the mint chip colorway. 80% superwash wool, 20% silk. on different sites it currently retails for $15-18 for each 50gram hank… 14 oz is almost 400 grams or 8 hanks. and i got the entire lot for $4-$5 total at jo-ann. insanity… now what to make with it? socks? 1st shawl attempt? mitered blanket squares?

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/spud--chloe-stripey-fine

http://www.yarn.com/product/spud-and-chloe-stripey-fine-yarn/

well, not in time-out anymore. i did it - i took out the last bind off stitch, found the other skeins of the boucle, already frogged like it’s a blank, and have cast on 200 stitches on new needles. she’s got test results coming back next tuesday, and has been very… private but also angry. it sounds like she knows more bad news than the rest of us do, and some of the family is just now coming to terms with how serious everything is. mom and i are planning to visit net week, so my goal is a finished garter stitch blanket by then.

http://www.nowu.com/article/connect/things-to-stop-hoarding-in-2015/21874485/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

my mom shared this link with me. because of her sisters and mom (my aunts/grandma) we’re always on high alert when it comes to hoarding.

i think most of us have at least a touch of these issues, maybe a touch of all of them. my 2 big issues are the paperwork and the clothes. the rest i’ve done ok on, so far.

Stashing is not hording. Stashing is not hording. Stashing…is a form of hording. :sad:

[quote=XtopherCB;1416676]so i came across the attached picture on ravelry, as an advertisement, when i was surfing through… and i thought hmm… that looks very very familiar… sure enough, i have an entire 14 oz mill end bag of spud & chloe stripey fine, in the mint chip colorway. 80% superwash wool, 20% silk. on different sites it currently retails for $15-18 for each 50gram hank… 14 oz is almost 400 grams or 8 hanks. and i got the entire lot for $4-$5 total at jo-ann. insanity… now what to make with it? socks? 1st shawl attempt? mitered blanket squares?

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/spud--chloe-stripey-fine

http://www.yarn.com/product/spud-and-chloe-stripey-fine-yarn/[/qu

It would make an awesome Spring/Summer Lacey evening wrap . For those times when you have a fancy dress event and just need something to lay over your bare shoulders . I’m making some right now for my daughter at her request . I found this really easy lace pattern on Ravelry for it, Nonsuch Knits
Claire . CO 57 sts,Pattern: K3, *yo, p2tog, k5; rep from * to last 5 sts, yo, p2tog, k3. That’s it ! You knit the pattern to the length you want.

that’s true… i didn’t include my yarn stash, and she didn’t include her fabric stash, with ‘hoarding’ behavior, because even tho they’re both out of hand, they get used and made into nice things that are often donated.

Hear! hear! Excellent point, well made!