Alene Camisole - Knitty Gritty question

OK I am attempting my first garment, unless you include socks :slight_smile: It is the Alene Camisole that was featured on Knitty Gritty. I included the link to the pattern incase it makes it easier to see the actual pattern in order to help better answer my question/fix my problem :slight_smile:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4206647,00.html

“Beginning at lower edge of bodice and using size 6 needles, cast on 87 (93, 99, 107, 119, 121, 131) sts and work 1” in stockinette st. With RS facing, increase 1 st at each end of needle this and every 6th row 2 times-- 91 (97, 103, 111, 121, 125, 135) sts.
Work evenly until back measures 4 (4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6)" from beginning.
"

Ok I’ve casted it on my 87 stitches (I’m doing a small), my gauge is just about spot on and I’ve knitted 1" and I’m ready to start the increase. Now I know I have 87 stitches and I need to get to 91. Keep in mind I’m not working in the round yet.

So my question is, that on the RS I need to increase 1 stitch at each end of needle (does this mean I increase 2 times, one at the first needle and one at the end needle?) But then I would end up with too many stitches if I increased 2 stitches at row 1 and 6 and then repeated it 2 times.

So should I only increase 1 stitch on row 1 and row 6. Does that mean at row 7 I increase another stitch or is it JUST on row 6, 12 and 18? Or is it on rows 1 and 6, and then on rows 7 and 12? I’m unsure of what “2 times” includes I guess.

I’ve frogged twice, so I figured it was time to ask. I hope my question makes sense as I’m just trying to figure out which rows I’m actually increasing on so I can get my 91 stitches.

I hope someone can help me, thanks!

~danielle~

my guess is it means increase 2 stitches twice including the 1st time?

Well the only problem is you’re only increasing 4 stitches total. If I did 2 stitches on row 1 and then 2 on row 6 and repeated 2 times, I’d have way too many stitches. I’m stumped…

~danielle~

You are only increasing a total of 4 stitches…

So on the first row you increase at the beginning and the end and then knit 6 more rows in pattern stitch and then on the 7th row do the same increases…

The confusing part is where it reads “2 times” - but since you only need to go up 4 stitches you do it on row 1 and 7 then continue in plain stockinette with no increases until you reach the 4"s.

Ok so the increases are on rows 1 and 7. The pattern (to me) seems a bit confusing :slight_smile: Thank you for helping me out, now I must frog back to row 7 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again.

~danielle~

It is confusing to me too Danielle! I hope it works out okay!