Alan Dart Sox paws

I have made this pattern only one time before and I am continually perplexed by the paws! I get mixed up when I get to the “work on second toe” part…First, I don’t end up with 9 stitches. Then I end up with three stitches left on a needle, between 2 toes. I don’t know where I"m going wrong…does it seem like something’s missing. He does have a tutorial for “fingers” but not for the paws. I also tried to look for any pattern revisions.

Change to White for paw and ss 2 rows. Cast on 2 sts at beg of next 2 rows for big toe [20 sts].
Ss 2 rows.
Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows [14 sts].
Increase for toes, next row: K2, inc 1, K1, inc 1, K3, inc 1, turn and work on these 12 sts only.
Work first toe, next row: P6, turn and work on these sts only.
Next row: K6, break yarn, leaving a 39in (99cm) length. Thread through sts on needle, draw up tightly and fasten off, then join toe seam down to remaining sts on needles.
***Work second toe, next row: With 6 sts on right-hand needle and 5 sts on left- hand needle, use remaining length of yarn to K1, inc 1 from left-hand sts, turn and work on these 9 sts only.
Next row: P6, turn and work on these sts only
Next row: K6, thread yarn through sts on needle, draw up tightly and fasten off, then join toe seam down to remaining sts on needles.
Work third toe, next row: With 3 sts on right-hand needle and 3 sts on left- hand needle, use remaining length of yarn to K the 3 left-hand sts [6 sts].

Any thoughts?

How do you do the increases? It looks like the pattern is calling for an increase in a stitch so that the original stitch and the increase are counted.

So when you get to the
"Increase for toes, next row: K2, inc 1 (2sts), K1, inc 1(2sts), K3, inc 1(2sts), turn and work on these 12 sts only."
you end with 12sts.

Then at the 2nd toe:
"Work second toe, next row: With 6 sts on right-hand needle and 5 sts on left- hand needle, use remaining length of yarn to K1, inc 1 from left-hand sts, turn and work on these 9 sts only."
you have 6sts on the RH needle, 5 on LH needle. The k1 and increase (2sts) leaves you with 9sts on the RH needle and 3sts on the L.
Is that what you get?

He specifies that the increases are knit front and back and I do that. But I am going to try exactly what YOU said on the second toe because that is definitely not what I got. Thank you for helping!

As I look again, it says K1 inc1 on the left hand stitches…but aren’t there 5 stitches on that needle, and 6 on the right?

Yes. So if you k1, inc 1 that’ll give you 6+3 sts on the RH needle and you’ll decrease 2 sts on the LH needle giving you 3 on the LH needle.

:cheering: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I figured it out with the help of your notes!!