After finishing a piece, what do I do with the "tails" and stop my pieces unravelling?

Hello everyone! I hope you all can help me.

I have knitted a few newborn cardigans and they turned out fine! I knitted it all in one piece with raglan increases and sleeves knitted on round, but I still have several “tails” that I don’t know what to do with.

I’m afraid to cut them in case all my work unravels. I’ve heard about weaving in, but I don’t know the correct way to do it. I don’t want it all to fall apart the first time they are worn or washed in machine.

What exactly do I do now to finish things off and make them neat? My twins aren’t due to arrive until 1st August so I have a few weeks to figure this out!

Hi, welcome and congratulations on the expected twins!

There are several good tutorials or videos online for weaving in ends. Usually you would leave about a 6" tail to weave in. See if these help:
https://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

What I don’t understand is how that would stop it unravelling? Doesn’t it need more “knotting”?

Especially under the arms, I have gaps due to the changing direction of the knitting. I will watch tutorials to see if they help, but I feel like I need to actually sew it all together to feel confident!

If you work the wool into the back of several sts along the row, then turn and work back through several as shown in the tutorial and video, the yarn will generally stay put.
You can often use a yarn tail to close up a gap or you can cut a length of yarn on a tapestry needle to close the gap at the underarm.

What yarn did you use? What was the name of your pattern?

I just used a standard double knit acrylic yarn to knit this -

https://sowoolly.net/how-to-knit-a-newborn-cardigan-for-beginners/

I have knitted three so far, and started my fourth

That’s an adorable pattern. Acrylic tends not to be as grabby as wool so be sure to weave the tails through several sts in one direction and then back in the opposite direction.

Thank you so much for the advice! I’m so glad I found this site