Afghan Questions

I want to make an afghan for my couch.

I am going to CO about 200 sts. What length needle should I use, so that the sts all fit comfortably on the needle? I probably need to use circulars. Will the 29" ones have suffice, or do I need to purchase a longer pair

Also, I want it to be a very warm afghan, so should I use the needle size the manufacturer sugg- US #8- or can I use say #10 or #11, without the sts being too open?

Now here is the real tough q- I want to knit a double sided afghan using double knitting, but I am making sort of a Mondrian inspired afghan with multiple blocks of color. Each square/rectangle will be outlined in a darker shade, making it almost like the leading that outlines stained glass (See pic below). I guess it would be intarsia. So my q is- can I double knit this, and if so, how do I do it with all the different colors? I am only used to double knitting with 2 colors. There will be probably 6 or 8 colors, not including the outline.

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

That’s quite an undertaking. I will say that your 29" needles will most likely hold the stitches, but I don’t know enough about double knitting to advise you on the rest.

So if you are casting on 200 stitches and you are double knitting you will have 400?

I did the math and I’m going to CO 170 sts for a 40" afghan.

I think you can double knit this, especially if you want the front and back to have blocks in the same places. For each block, you can use two slightly different blues (one for the front, one for the back), then use two strands of black for the black edges between blue panels. I’m not a double knitting expert, but…I think this will take a loooong time in double knitting! You’re much braver than I am to consider this.

(On a slight aside, I listened to an old episode of the Cast On podcast this week, on recommendation for a friend - I typically don’t listen to podcasts. The guest essay came from a woman who decided to make a double knitted baby blanket for a pregnant relative. The results were…well…I can find the episode number or summarize if you like!)

And I’d recommend sticking with the yarn’s stated needle size if you want to have a warm blanket.

I love your idea for the afghan design! :cheering:

This is from the topic “want to double knit my hp scarf” written by KatyKoolkat on Feb 7, 2006.

Can I do this instead? It seems much easier to me.

This may be a dumb question, but do I need to do a tubular cast-on for this technique? I was looking through a few various tubular cast-on methods, and I’m not sure if this is the cast-on I need for the piece.

I’m not that familiar with double knitting but would it be easier to knit everything up into blocks and then sew them together?

Since all the blocks are being outlined in the dark blue, it would make that very complicated, and if they are not all even it would not look right. That would be much much more work for me.

I realized after watching the knitty gritty episode with the tubular cast-on that it is used for adding elastic afterward, not for creating a double-sided piece, so I am just gonna do the tubular knitting with a regular cast-on.

More Questions!

Can I even do a color block pattern with this tubular knitting technique? Since I K1, then slip 1, how would color changes work? Would the new color show up with the knit sts but not with the slipped sts, or would coming back on the next row and knitting the slipped sts and slipping the knit sts account for that?

Maybe I should just knit both sides separately and join. :shrug:

So confused, and not in the mood for test swatches :pout:

Okay, so I have tried many times now, unsuccessfully, :pout: to do this afghan. I gave up completely on double and tubular knitting, and decided to do one side with the pattern and the other side solid with the outline color. So intarsia it is, or was. Since there were so many color changes, the balls of yarn kept getting tangled and became a big mess. :verysad: So now I have decided to just knit each block individually and join them all together.

Since each color block is being connected to the block next to it with 2 sts and 3 rows of the outline color, should I knit those to each block while I knit the block, or should I add it later when I join together? I was thinking of doing provisional CO so I can add the rows of outline later when I join, and knit the outline sts on each side of the block, changing colors back and forth between the block color while I knit the block.

Since the blocks don’t all line up with each other both row-wise and column-wise, which way of adding the outline color and joining the pieces would be easier?

Also, (not pictured here, but is part of the afghan), there is a border of 4 sts on each end and 6 rows on both the top and the bottom done in the outline color. Should I just do those individually and join to the blocks later, or knit the pieces directly from the border?

I just had a thought. Could I CO the 177 sts for the afghan, knit the 6 rows for the bottom border, knit the 4 sts for the border on the one end, then BO until 4 sts left for border on the other end, then knit both those sides of the border for the 457 rows, then re-CO those middle sts, and knit 6 rows for the top border, then BO completely and join the color blocks to the completed border. Do you think that would work?

Thanks for any help, I am sooooooooo confused as to the best way to do this. :wall: :shrug:

I’d worry about making the border like that in case something doesn’t fit. That’s an awful lot of work.

I think I’d knit the blocks with the border on and then seam them together. You could use an edge-to-edge seam so you won’t get a bump across the back.

You could pick up stitches and add the border later–it would give it a nice finished edge.

Thanks, Ingrid.

I was just worried that the border might not line up if I knitted it onto each block, then joined it all together. I guess if I wait until the whole thing is joined, I could pick up all the sts around the entire afghan and knit the border that way. I thought that would be more work for me, because it’s 177 sts by 457 rows. Thats a lot of sts to pick up, but I think it will turn out looking nicer that way.

Thanks again.

Now to actually knit all the pieces.