Afgan question

Hello. Thanks for the group add. I have pattern that calls for jumbo knitting needles size us50 and I have super thick yarn (10.5 oz. 300 g) that is to be used with these needles it tells me to cast on 31 stitches loosely. I cannot cast on 31 stitches. Way too tight they won’t fit on the needle. Am I doing something wrong? In the instructions it says “do not join” " working back and forth acrossms needles in rows. Please help I have no clue what to do. Ty!

“Do not join” is for people using a circular needle, which can be used to hold a bunch of stitches even if you don’t plan on knitting in the round. If you have straight needles, that doesn’t apply to you–just work the way you normally do.

What pattern is it, if you have a link? Is the yarn what the pattern calls for? It might be that the original yarn will fit, and yours won’t.It could also be–and I suspect this from that instruction–that they expect ou to use a circular needle so there’s room.

No. The instruction calls for US 50 needle and Bernal blanket big yarn. I’m just wondering how to fit my cast on my size 50 flat needle.

It mentions nothing about circular needles. Says to use flat. It’s just if I cast on 31 stitches of this thick yarn on a size 50 flat needle, all my casts will fall off. But thank u for your help. At least I understand about the do not join :blush:

What it’s the name of your pattern? Please post a link if you have it, too. How long are your needles? Are they straight needles? Answers to the basic questions help us answer.

Unless the Afghan is knit in panels it will be almost impossible to knit an again on straight needles.

Attached are my instructions. Yes. The needles are about 18 inches long. I’ll also take a pic of the needles and yarn

Sorry. Correction. Needles are 12 inches, not 18

Can someone respond to my post. Ty😊

Sorry, 7 hours ago when you posted I was still asleep here on the west coast (California).

It looks like you have what the pattern requires, but I really think those needles are going to be too short for an afghan. You will constantly have trouble with the stitches sliding off the end. I don’t knit with straight needles so I’m not sure, but if they come longer …like 18"… you might try them. I’m not sure circulars are made with the size needle either so the only alternative I see is to make like 3 or 4 panels and then sew them together.

I agree, 12 inch needles for a 50 inch width isn’t going to work. WEBS has a size 50 circular needle which will work. You’ll knit back and forth on this needle without joining.

I emailed Michaels to ask about the suggested straight needles for this pattern.
http://www.michaels.com/bernat-blanket-big-super-simple-blanket-to-knit/B_81854.html?productsource=projects#start=2

Well. I have another set of instructions that tell me to use size 50 circular. So I’ll have to look😊 how do I knit panels and do I just sew them together with the yarn? How big are the panels to knit? I knew there was something odd about the pattern. Ty!!!

Ty!! Appreciate the help all​:blush::blush:

If you want to do panels you just divide the stitches by the number of panels and with what will fit on your needles. For instance with 31 you could do 3 panels 2 with 10 stitches and one with 11. I’d probably add one stitch on either side of each panel as a seaming stitch so the seaming won’t eat into the blanket size. So that would be 2 panels of 12 stitches and one of 13.

Now personally I’d get the circular needles. If you do panels and seam the blanket will be one sided because the seamed side won’t be as pretty. You won’t really see the stitches much with that yarn though so who knows…it might be fine.

Rose, I agree with several others who have suggested a circular needle that will accomodate the number of stitches you need. You just work a row to the end, then turn the piece around and start on the next row.

When I teach knitting, I always have my students learn on circular needles. It’s easy. It’s compact – there are no ends of the long, straight needles to poke into the arm of your chair or the person sitting next to you. I find I am able to hold my hands in a more natural and comfortable position with circular needles because they are not sticking out straight. Also, if you use them from the start, they are not a strange new tool when you decide to give knitting in the round a try.

When I am joining work, panels, parts of a garment, whatever, I always use embroidery floss. It’s available in hundreds of colors, so there is always a match available to blend into the yarn you’ve used. Even with multi color yarns, you can mix strands of different colors floss together if you need to. The floss is durable and can be washed or dry cleaned. I learned this technique in a class taught by a “master knitter,” and the tricks of the trade she shared were terrific. You do NOT want to use a heavy weight yarn for joining as the seam will be very thick and “clunky.” You mention that you are a new knitter. If you have local yarn stores in your area that offer classes, you might want to look for a class in “seaming” or in “finishing.” In my area a class like this is usually done in two or three hours of a single afternoon or evening and might cost $20-25. Definitely one of the best investments of time and a small amount of money I ever made as a knitter. It made such a HUGE difference in how my completed items look. Only wish I had know about these classes earlier in my knitting history. Good luck with the blanket!

Thank u for this info. How do u use the embroidery floss? I’ve never heard of that and I’d it ok to just use the same yarn I have to sew in the squares together?

I usually use 4-6 strands of the floss held together as if it were a strand of regular thread. If you are using a very lightweight yarn, just a couple will do. The floss is quite strong and durable.
There are lots of videos on YouTube that show and explain the way to work in and out of stitches on your knitted fabric. You can search for something like" How to Seam Knitting" of "finishing techniques for knitting: and get lots o good results to browse through. You can see how to join to pieces along the side edge, or the top edge or the bottom or a mix of any two. There are videos on YouTube for just about everything to do with knitting, and if you check out some of the regular “teachers” you’ll probably find one or two you can count on in the future to learn about something new. A great resource.
Oh, some of the videos might recommend that you use your yarn for seaming. I’d go with the floss. It’s strong and so much less bulky that the yarn that the seams ar much less bulky, too.