Advice to Cure a Curling Scarf?

Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and I was wondering if any one has any advice to help me solve this problem I am having. I’ve made a scarf for my dad and it actually turned out well but it refuses to lay flat.

I used a super wash merino wool yarn to create a herringbone knit scarf. I used a pattern found on the PurlSoho website. Typically the pattern is worked side to side until the desired length is achieved but I really wanted the pattern to travel lengthwise. So, I had cast on 500 stitches and then worked the pattern until I reached my desired width. So of course now I have a curly scarf.

I was thinking of trying to wet block the scarf to see if that can tame the edges but I heard that, that may only be a short term fix.

If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them! Thank you! I can try to post a picture later tonight when I get home from work.

Welcome to KH!
I love the herringbone stitch and I’ve had my eye on this scarf for awhile.

It’s not an easy stitch to do and unforgiving of mistakes. Usually you need to work it with a larger needle to minimize curling.
That said, wet blocking is likely to help here. Since you’re using wool, it’s more than a short term fix, too. Wash the scarf according to the yarn instructions, spin it for a few seconds (5-6secs) in the washer spin cycle or wrap in a towel and squeeze out water. Then pin it out on a board or clean carpet and let dry completely
It’s a lovely and thoughtful gift.

There really is no cure for curled stockinette. It’s the nature of stockinette to curl. You can try taming it with borders, but even those don’t often make it lie completely flat. A combination of borders and blocking may make it flatter and easier to deal with though.