Advanced beginner needs help with a sweater pattern!

Hi!

I’m somewhat new at knitting but have done several simple projects. My latest is a hooded zip cardigan. I’m having trouble with the neck and shoulder shaping directions. The directions are as follows:

Bind off 7 sts at beg of next 2 rows, AT SAME TIME, bind off center 14 sts for neck and working both sides at once, bind off 3 sts from each neck end twice.

Do I need to use 2 balls of yarn to accomplish this? “AT SAME TIME” I don’t understand at all. Does this mean that the 14 sts should be done while binding off the 7? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, you’re just doing 2 steps in the same row. You might have to join another ball if there’s shoulder shaping, but now you don’t. Make sense?

I think you will need to balls now. You’re dividing for the shoulders, and will need to bind off the first 7, then the center 14, and then use another ball for the other shoulder. You’ll bind off 7 at the beginning of the next row for that side.

For your neck bind offs, you won’t do them on the same rows, but will do them when the row for that side starts at the neck edge.