Adult pullover

Loving this sweater so much I am making a few more adult ones! However I do not want to put on as many buttons as indicated. I would like to put like 6 buttons, about eight rows apart, so how do I go about doing that? I am just a little confused(I don’t want to mess up the bottom or side borders) because although I knit a lot, I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to this stuff!

Bottom front:
Row 1 (wrong side): *k1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
Row 2 (right side): knit
Row 3 (wrong side): *k1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
Row 4 (right side): k2, *with yarn in front, slip next stitch purlwise, bring
yarn to back, slip next stitch purlwise, pass second stitch on right needle
over the first, slip next stitch purlwise, pass second stitch on the right
needle over the first, slip the first stitch on the right needle to the left
needle, turn work, bring yarn to back, using a cable cast on {cast on 3
sts}, turn work, bring yarn to back, slip first stitch on left needle to the
right needle, pass the second stitch on the right needle over the first,
*knit to last 4 stitches, repeat work between * *, k1.
Row 5 (wrong side): *k1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
Row 6 (right side): knit
Row 7 (wrong side): k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 5 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1,
k1.
Row 8 (right side): knit
Row 9 (wrong side): k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 5 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1,
k1.
Row 10 (right side): knit
Row 11 (wrong side): k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 5 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1,
k1.
Row 12 (right side): Same as Row 4 (buttonhole row).

Welcome Melanie acvorfimg to your pattern you are doing a button hole on row 4 and agaim on row 12 which is 8 rows apart which is what you said you wanted. If you want more rows in between i would add 4 rows in between, therefore I would work row 12 as a knit, row 13 follow row 11, row 14 knit, row 15 same as 11 (wrong side row) and proceed to follow row 4 buttonhole row as row 16. Does this make sense?

If you’ve knit the back already you can use the back to measure where you would like the button to be placed. Then count rows between buttons for the buttonhole placement on the front.
If the pattern starts with the front, use the row gauge you’re getting with this yarn to calculate where to place the buttonhole rows.
The buttonhole itself is fairly straightforward so that you can move that row to every 8 rows or whatever spacing you would like.

This is for the Azel pattern?

Yes it is! I just love it! Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just follow the pattern then and just not make as many button holes!