adjusting 8-hr baby blanket

I want to make the Broken Rib Baby Blanket from the Plymouth Encore 8 hour Baby Blanket Revisited, using Knitpicks Cadena bulky (held single) from my stash instead of Encore worsted held double. I want the blanket to come out approx the same size (28"x32") but it doesn’t have to be exact. So, my question is how to get the right number of sts to cast on in order to get the st repeat correct?

Pattern gauge = 2.5 st/in on size 13 needles
Cadena gauge = 3 st/in on size 11 needles

Blanket uses simple 2 row st pattern:
Row 1: K3, p1, * (k3, p1); repeat from * across to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 2: K1, *(p1, k3); repeat from * across to last 2 sts, p1, k1.

Thanks in advance!
KFK

I can’t wait to see the outcome. :slight_smile:

Is this the pattern? The best way to figure out how many you need to cast on is to do a gauge swatch. Since your yarn is heavier you may not have to do anything different, but a gauge swatch will give a better idea.

Yes, that’s the one. Hi Jan, nice to “see” you! Actually I don’t care about the gauge that much, I really care that the blanket won’t be too small - and I get that of course you arrive at that via gauge. But I have very little time, I’m a slow knitter and I also knit to gauge pretty consistently, so I can more or less count on the st gauge on the label being correct for me.
What I want is for some of you Math Geniuses to tell me how to make this blanket a “bit bigger” and get the REPEATS right :grin: That is, I could add 10 more sts to the cast on, but would it screw up the repeats?? My mind does not work that way, and my mathematician partner does not knit, so he has led me astray in the past.

Hi there!!

Using the original number of stitches, you would add more in multiples of 4. So you would add 4 or 8 or 12 or 16 to the original amount of stitches.

Hth,
Knitcindy

Hi again!!!

Here’s a little hint as to how to look at a pattern and figure how many stitches to add!!!

When u read the instructions for a row, look and see if any part of it is repeated across the row. Usually it will be in parentheses. In that Broken Rib Blanket pattern, the instructions say to repeat either (k3, p1) or the (p1, k3) across the row. That’s how I figured that it was repeats of 4.

This is helpful IN GENERAL for most patterns. Some it will work for and some it won’t. But hopefully it will help u in figuring it out next time on your own!!!

Knitcindy

KnitCindy, thanks for this, and I wanted you to know how well your suggestion worked. I have about 4 in of the blanket knitted up so far and it’s exactly right it’s going to be a perfect size :slight_smile:

Love, KFK

I am so glad!!! I have that pattern booklet too and those make some beautiful blankets. Don’t forget to post a pic of it when you’re done!!!

Knitcindy