Adding stitches to the side of a rectangular row of stitches?

Hi guys so I recently taught myself how to knit and want to make a scarf. I’ve started making it but I’ve made it too wide so it’s going to take a lot of time to reach the length I want. I was wondering if it’s possible to start adding stitches to the side instead so the width becomes the new length? I’d appreciate any help :slight_smile:

It is possible to pick up stitches and knit that way, but it might be easier to :frog: frog ( pull out) what you have knitted and having counted the stitches and seeing how many you need to cast on to get the width of scarf :scarf: you do want. It is good practice​:blush:. Otherwise you would have to cast off turn the wrk pick up stitches ( can be tricky as that edge is not normally used for that) and the knit on with the rows going in the crosswise direction.

Welcome to KH!
Your knitting is lovely and even. That’s not easy to achieve when you start out.
You can indeed pick up along the side edge. Bind off the current sts and then, for garter stitch, pick up about 2sts for every 3 rows.

1 Like