Adding ruffle to store bought knit sweater

My girlfriend purchased a (finely) knit, sleeveless, square-neck shell. She didn’t notice the “broken” yarn along the neckline until after she had it home. She tried to repair it herself by sewing the sts with thread, but it didn’t work out & when she took the thread out, she did more stitch damage.

I teased her that she shld have turned the sweater over to me “immediately” - LOL

Ok, here’s my question:

The shell has a squared neck & I want to add a ruffle that will come down a bit & cover the damaged sts (I sewed them all closed). I have a nice “fun-fur” that I’m using.

I’d like to shape the ruffled edge to match the neck - squared, but I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Any suggestions?

Would doing an I-cord and then seaming it in work? You could do the neckline and sleeve edges and even the waist and it would be really cute depending on the sweater.

[QUOTE=Maddison;Would doing an I-cord and then seaming it in work? You could do the neckline and sleeve edges and even the waist and it would be really cute depending on the sweater.[/QUOTE]

Hi Maddison,

No as I need “something” to come down a bit to cover the sewn damaged stitches - 1/2" to 5/8".

But I think I figured it out…

Cast on according to neckline-shldrs-back meas x2 (if I’m using a x2 ruffle).
K to desired length - 1/2" or 5/8".
K to tog (creating ruffle).
Bind off ctr sts P 2 tog.
Attach another ball of yarn
K the 2 shldrs to 1/2" or 5/8" short of back.
Cast on dble the amt of sts needed for back - 1/2 amt from each ball.
Cont k for 1/2" or 5/8".
Bind off k 2 tog.

Not meaning to offend you in any way, but I don’t know how experienced you are, so I don’t know if you understand what I just wrote :knitting:

However, I’m not so sure I do! :roflhard:

I have to be very careful b4 I start this project b/c of the fun-fur. I can’t see myself trying to rip fun-fur stitches.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Joan