Adapting Pattern to Fit My Gauge

I found a pattern for a sweater I would like to knit. This is the pattern. I have my yarn that I want to use, but I don’t have the same needle size the pattern writer used. I have one size smaller. The pattern calls out for two circs and a set of DPN’s size 9. (and I only have DPN’s of the size called out in the pattern and I don’t have the cash right now to pick up the circs.).

Anyway, I did a swatch in 1 x 1 ribbing on size 8 needles, got the gauge, and figured out the conversion factor for my gauge vs. the pattern’s gauge for my size. When the math was done, I ended up with the same amount of stitches to cast on as the next size up. My row gauge matched the row gauge that was called out in the pattern.
My question is can I just follow the pattern exactly for the next size up, or do I need to convert more of the pattern?

If both your horizontal (sts) and vertical (rows) gauges match up perfectly with the next size up AND the dimensions of that size happen to fit you, go for it! Lucky you, you can just knit the pattern as written.

The needle size on patterns is the size the designer used and they may be a looser or tighter knitter than you. Go with whatever needle gets you gauge, or even the fabric you like. I’m a medium to loose knitter, and I won’t knit a sweater on size 8s because it’s too dense and too warm. I really like looser knits, so use 10.5 to 7.5mm so always need to adapt a pattern.

If only those pattern writers knit the same as we do… :teehee: