Adapting pattern to different Gauge HELP

Hello fellow knitters,

I am knitting a baby blanket for my niece to be :heart: and need some help adapting the pattern to a different gauge than the one given… Can anyone help me? Don’t want to think I can’t complete this project :frowning:

The pattern is Mitered square (with three different colours, A, B, C)
With A, cast on 83 stf
Row 1 (RS) Knit
Row 2 (WS) K40, place marker, SK2P, k to end
Row 3 (RS) Knit
Row 4 (WS) Knit to 1 st before marker, place new marker, SK2P removing original marker, K to end
Rep last 2 rows 12 times more, Cut A, and join B
Row 29 (RS) With B, knit
Row 30 (WS) With B, rep row 4
Rep last 2 rows, 13 times more,
Cut B and join C
Row 57 (RS) With C, knit
Row 58 (WS) With C, rep row 4
rep last 2 rows 11 times more, then rep row 57 once more
Row 82, SK2P, cut yarn and pull through last st

The pattern calls for
19 st and 39 rows to 4in/10 cm over garter st using size 7 (4.5 mm) needles

BUT the gauge of my yarn is 22-24 sts = 4in(10 cm) US 5-6 (3.75-4 mm)

Can anyone help me adapt this so I make neat squares that aren’t overly big? THANK YOU SO MUCH

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
The best thing to do is to knit a gauge swatch in garter stitch. That way you’ll know what gauge your yarn gives with your needles. The gauge given on the ball band is usually stockinette stitch and you may well have a different tension from the one given. Once you know your gauge you can figure out the number of sts to cast on or we can help with that.
Your yarn is also finer or thinner than the pattern calls for so the square will be smaller than that called for in the pattern. As an estimate only, it’ll take a cast on of about 98sts with your yarn.
What a wonderful aunt you’ll be and what a kind gift for your new niece. You can do it.

Thank you so much:yay:
I checked my gauge with my needles and get:
20 stitches and 36 rows.
I’m afraid I’ll need some help with the pattern however as I guess that not only the number of stitches that you cast on will change, but aslo the rows you knit and how to integrate the different colours…
Hopefully someone can help with this and I can get on my way…only have until December!! :slight_smile:
Thank you so much again
Best,
Olina

Oh, great. You’re really close enough on gauge so that casting on 85-87sts should work. Garter stitch is going to be very stretchy anyway. The helpful thing is that you’ll have a good idea of size once you’ve knit the first square. Should be a lovely blanket.