Adapting a pattern to knit in the round

Hi guys,

I made this wine bottle cozy for my dad from knitty:
wine bottle cozy

I hate sewing seams, and I wanted to make more (I thought having a pile of these in my gift closet would come in handy since they knit up so quickly) so I decided to adapt the pattern to dpn’s - but I’ve never done this before and find that I’m a little stumped.

First, there’s the wrong side part where the eyelets are formed:

[WS]: K2, [YO, p2tog tbl, p2, YO, k2tog] to last 4 sts, YO, p2tog tbl, p2
Would the adapted version read:

P2, [YO k2tog tbl, k2, YO, p2tog] to last 4 sts, YO, k2tog tbl, p2
?

Also, there’s the part where the ridge/ knit in i-cord is put in on the base of the cozy:

[WS]: [With left needle, pick up purl bump of next st, 6 rows down, p this st tog with next st on needle] to end of row. This will form a ridge on the right side of work.
Could I do this on dpn’s - say, when I come to this row, I work on the inside of the tube (ie. “inside out”) on the dpn’s?

Thanks so much guys. I am going to try one like this over the next few days and if successful will post the pattern on my (much neglected) blog with links to the original. Can someone tell me if I’ve got it right? Thanks again!

You’ll also have to reverse the order as well as the k/p of the wrong side stitches.

Imagine that in straight knitting your right side stitches are numbered 1-50. On the wrong side, after you turn, you’re working the stitches from number 50 back down to 1.

In the round, you’re always working 1-50.

So from the original:

[WS]: K2, [YO, p2tog tbl, p2, YO, k2tog] to last 4 sts, YO, p2tog tbl, p2

to:

k2, k2tog tbl, YO [p2tog, YO, k2, k2tog tbl, YO] p2
?

Thanks Ingrid! Once again you save me from myself!

You might want to practice it first, since I’m not sure that the p2tog tbl is going to look the same as k2tog tbl.

You don’t have to do it in the round to double check it, just cast on on a circular needle and work across the front, then slide the stitches back to the point and let the yarn drape across the back and knit across the front again. Keep doing this in your revised pattern and see if the result is what you’re looking for.

The “tbl” was the very next thing I was going to ask about - but I figured I would see what it looked like before asking about it! :smiley:

UPDATE: It appears that k2tog tbl actually IS the “opposite” of p2tog tbl. That is, when you do a p2tog tbl on the WS of a pattern, the RS looks as if a k2tog tbl was made. At least, as far as I can tell.

Can anyone refute this? I might just not be as sharp eyed as I should be…

As long as you like it, what difference does it make?:shrug: It’s just for the icord, right?

No - it’s for the eyelet round in the middle of the ribbing - where the twisted cord and optional tassels go. But you’re right - I agree, it looks aright ta me!

The “icord” the pattern speaks about is the ridge around the bottom. That is created at the bottom before the decreasing part starts:

[WS]: [With left needle, pick up purl bump of next st, 6 rows down, p this st tog with next st on needle] to end of row. This will form a ridge on the right side of work.

I plan to do this on DPNs, so when I get to this row, I think I’m gonna knit on them “inside out” for one round and see if that works. I can’t think of another way to do it, and decided to just knit up to that point and see what happens.

I think, in general, the p2tog tbl is the actual backside of a k2tog and not strictly the “opposite”. If you know what I mean. It’s all about how the stitches lean.

Carmen - you’re probably right - I was going for the “back side” of a p2tog tbl. Are you saying that that would be k2tog and NOT k2tog tbl? It seems to lean the right way when I do k2tog tbl…

I believe so. P2tog tbl is the backside of a K2tog. A p2tog is the back side of a SSK. I THINK!

Hey – try both and look on the other side!!! See what looks like what…

sue

Well, an update seems in order. I found that ssk is actually the backside of p2tog tbl according to a person who read a book here:
http://www.socknitters.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4191&sid=dca29865256e728cf60472ebdf4c43fc

“P2 tog-b” similarily converts to “ssk”–a left-slanting decrease.

I ran into a snag - because the original wine cozy pattern has a seam in it, when knit in the round, an eyelet is missing. I fixed this by adding another “YO” at the end of the eyelet round. This worked great, until the bottom part after the ridge when I had to fudge the decreases to finish and close up the bottom.

I am reluctant to post a pattern that says “fudge this part” but well, you can’t really see where I did it, and I really did like knitting it in the round better. I’ll link tomorrow to my blog with pics and stuff. The hubby has the camera most days but I’m gonna steal it tomorrow.

Yeah, it’s hard to know for sure until you do it. Then, even after you have done, it might be hard to remember. :rollseyes: