Ack! So THAT'S what I'm doing! Now what?

Ok, I’m a noob. My grandmother taught me how to knit like a million years ago, but she was left handed and she taught me totally “backwards”. And then I mostly forgot anyway. Now I’m trying to re-teach myself.

I knitted a few practice swatches and they seemed ok. I’m now attempting my first project in the round. After starting over like four times, it seemed to be going pretty weill, but I was having a heck of a time getting my needle through some of the stitches. I thought maybe I was knitting too tight. I thought maybe it was because my bamboo neddles aren’t super pointy. (I thought about sanding them pointier…) After poking around here, I descovered taht I am doing “combined Knitting” ( I had no idea there was such a thing, let alone that I was doing it.) and since I am not turning and purling the stitches are oriented strangely.

So, after all that, my question is if I start knitting regularly now will it make a noticable difference in the work? What if I continue to combined knit but wrap the yarn the other direction (as in the very helpful video)? I really don’t want to start over again. Should I just keep doing what I"ve been doing even thought it’s irritating?

Thanks so much for any insight you have. :slight_smile:

Combined is knitting through the back loop because the purls were wrapped the other way - when you’re knitting flat. If you’re continuing to do that in the round, it’s twisting your knit sts. This also makes them tight. Watch the video again, notice where she inserts the needle (the front leg, not the back) and how the yarn is wrapped around. You can continue to hold the yarn in your left hand, but just notice how you make the sts.

Combined purling - what my granny called “lazy purl” (because it was fast & easy) - may make the work tight (it is okay to use in ribbing, tho) & even if you manage to make the purl stitches loose enough can result in a noticeable ridge in the work AND if you need to use any kind of pattern stitch will require lots of experimentation to make it work. I have switched in the middle of a piece of work & was disappointed to see that it didn’t seem to make any difference in the appearance of the work - except that the german knitted part was smoother.

Resist any urge to sand your bamboo needles. I think it will be very hard if not impossible to get them really smooth and finished again as they were to start with. Messing with the points leaves a lot of little bamboo fibers that catch on your yarn and drive you nuts.

I’ve heard of `refinishing’ bamboo needles by rubbing wax paper over the tips though.