? about shaping shoulders

I started knitting the back of the “Blanket Jacket” from the book called “Knitting in No Time”. This is it on Ravelry.com

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blanket-jacket-3

I’ve started the back and have worked the armholes. The next section is called Shape Shoulders and Back Neck. It goes like this:

Bind off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. (I did this)
Next row: (RS) Bind off 4 sts, k until there are 8 sts on right needle, turn and complete right shoulder on these sts. (did this)
Bind of 3 sts at beg of next row (5 sts). (did this)
Bind off. * (did this but didn’t break the yarn)
With RS facing, bind off center 8 sts, k to end (12 sts)
Bind off 4 sts at beg of next row and 3 sts at beg of foll row (5 sts) Bind off.

When I got to “With RS facing, bind off center 8 sts” I used the yarn from the right shoulder to bind off the 8 sts. Should I have cut the yarn at * and used a new piece of yarn to bind off the center 8 sts??

THANKS!!!
knitcindy

Didn’t you have 3 bound off sts at the neck edge that were in between the working strand and the 8sts that you needed to bind off?

Thanks salmonmac!!! I decided to bind off and cut the yarn at the end of the shoulder instructions. (right before the “bind off the 8 center sts”)

I finished the back and am happily knitting along with one of the fronts. I am using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick that I found at our local Walmart for only $3.00 per skein!!! SUCH a deal!!

At first I didn’t know what I was going to use it for, but I just couldn’t leave it on the shelf at that price. Eventually I ended up buying 11 skeins in the Fisherman color.

knitcindy

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a bargain! Who could leave it in the store.
I hope we get to see the finished jacket.

I know, right?!?!?!? They only have a few colors at this price, so I check on their stock every time I’m there.

knitcindy