Abbreviations TF and TB?

I am working on a hat using a pattern from the 1970s, and I’ve come across some abbreviations I don’t understand. Can anyone explain how to “TF 2” or “TB 2”?

:?? Maybe it’s a variation of “tbl” (through the back loop) and “tfl” (through the front loop)?? So I’m thinking “TF 2” means "through the front loop twice. :??

Are you sure you have the whole pattern? Patterns usually have a abbreviation key. :thinking:

Thanks for the reply. I do have the complete pattern–it’s in a booklet from Bernat, which includes descriptions of every abbreviation except these–go figure. The TFs and TBs occur around some cables–I’m new to cabling, so maybe it’s something obvious I just don’t know about . . .

Oh … :thinking: Maybe it means “Twist Front” and “Twist Back”? The videos for cables are here. I know that putting the cn in the front of the work VS the back of the work will make your cable twist backward or forward, but I can’t remember which is which. :oops: But I think Amy’s notes which is which in the video. :mrgreen: :teehee:

My first thought was Twist Front and Twist Back.


A co-worker found a great source of abbreviations at It gives a good description of both “twist front” and “twist back”.

Thanks for your replies.