A little help deciphering a yarn label please?

Okay so at my local thrift store I managed to find an unused hank of 60% merino/20% Angora/20% Nylon yarn, light weight, and it’s soooo soft and comfortable. I’m having a little trouble with the label, though, because it wasn’t made by a big-name company like Lion Brand. It was made by a little company in Maine called Tess’ Designer Yarns. On the label, it says “Approx 440 yd / 100 g.”

The thing is, I’m not sure if it means “440 yd [B]PER[/B] 100g” or “440 yd [B]OR[/B] 100g.” Can anyone help me please?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a pattern for a shrug or bolero that I can make with just this one hank? I only have the one, and don’t have the money to buy more (this particular yarn is about $13 bought from the supplier, I got it at the thrift store for $2.)

Thanks so much for your help!

It means it weights 100 gms and is appx. 440 yds long.

More info is needed to help you find a pattern. What is the name of the yarn, what weight is it (lace, DK, worsted, etc) or what the gauge is.

At 440 yds in a 100 gm skein, it’s probably a sport to dk weight yarn that would be knit on size 4-6 needles. You should be able to find quite a few patterns that you could knit. Try www.knittingpatterncentral.com or www.dailyknitter.com, www.knitty.com and it’s really a good idea to join ravelry, where you can search for patterns by category and putting in the yarn weight and yardage.

Thanks, both of you! That’s exactly what I needed, and yes, it is sport weight. And thanks for the link to Ravelry! That’s wicked awesome, and will come in handy since most of my yarn is second-hand, so I don’t always have a clear idea what to make with it :muah: :muah: :muah: